1959 SLP into Powerbrake into Universal Audio Ox?

• Thread starter Brogues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brogues

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a big fan of Graham Coxon from Blur's 1959 SLP tones through his Powerbrakes and into 1960AVs.

In order for me to try to recreate this tone and not wake the neighbours (!), can I safely run a 1959 SLP into a Powerbrake and then into a Universal Audio Ox (with no cabinet connected) without blowing my amp?

My thinking is thus:

- It is definitely possible to run the Universal Audio Ox without a cab connected. I do this currently with the Speaker Volume on 0 and it works fine
- Therefore the UA Ox essentially is replacing the cab
- Putting an attenuator (Powerbrake in this instance) between the amp and the UA Ox would therefore just be essential recreating an Amp>Attenuator>Cab scenario except the 'cab' is a load box throwing out a cab simulated line level signal????

I just want to be sure that I am correct in my last assumption above before trying it. Any help much appreciated.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a big fan of Graham Coxon from Blur's 1959 SLP tones through his Powerbrakes and into 1960AVs.

In order for me to try to recreate this tone and not wake the neighbours (!), can I safely run a 1959 SLP into a Powerbrake and then into a Universal Audio Ox (with no cabinet connected) without blowing my amp?

My thinking is thus:

- It is definitely possible to run the Universal Audio Ox without a cab connected. I do this currently with the Speaker Volume on 0 and it works fine
- Putting an attenuator (Powerbrake in this instance) between the amp and the UA Ox would therefore just be essential recreating an Amp>Attenuator>Cab scenario except the 'cab' is a load box throwing out a cab simulated line level signal????

I just want to be sure that I am correct in my last assumption above before trying it. Any help much appreciated.
As you said, the OX is a full reactive load on the amp - any speaker output is optional.
If you want to use the Powerbrake to attenuate the amp signal going to the OX for the tone you think it will emulate, I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

Brogues

Reaction score
As you said, the OX is a full reactive load on the amp - any speaker output is optional.
If you want to use the Powerbrake to attenuate the amp signal going to the OX for the tone you think it will emulate, I have no idea why it wouldn't work.
Thanks for the reply. My only concern is running essentially two attenuators in series which seems to cause some people to get nervous based on some online searches I’ve done. I think my scenario above is slightly different though because the second ‘attenuator’ (I.e the Ox) is taking the place of the speaker (offering a full load).

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My only concern is running essentially two attenuators in series which seems to cause some people to get nervous based on some online searches I’ve done. I think my scenario above is slightly different though because the second ‘attenuator’ (I.e the Ox) is taking the place of the speaker (offering a full load).
The OX isn't really an attenuator, it's a re-amp.
It doesn't care what you feed it, unless it's over 150w.
Reducing the power between your amp and the OX should not affect either.
I don't stack attenuators, because I think it sounds like $#!+, not because of what some jackhole on the internet thinks.
If there's actually some science involved in why "they" say you shouldn't, I'd like to know what that is.
I've tried a PS1 attenuator on the low power setting on my Origin - sounds like $#!+.
I actually like the PS1 on the 3210 to knock the brightness down just a tad.
I also have a BadCat Unleash V2 (it's a re-amp - kinda like the OX), but I use it to make my Haze15 louder...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

My thinking is thus:

Whats the point? Just use the ox.

Brogues

Reaction score
Whats the point? Just use the ox.
Yes, I do understand it seems odd thing to want to do. From what I’ve heard though, Powerbrakes may offer a touch of compression and colour the tone. Generally, this isn’t favourable but I’m trying to recreate the tone of someone who has used Powerbrakes throughout his career and therefore forms part of the signal chain I’m trying to recreate.

Brogues

Reaction score
The OX isn't really an attenuator, it's a re-amp.
It doesn't care what you feed it, unless it's over 150w.
Reducing the power between your amp and the OX should not affect either.
I don't stack attenuators, because I think it sounds like $#!+, not because of what some jackhole on the internet thinks.
If there's actually some science involved in why "they" say you shouldn't, I'd like to know what that is.
I've tried a PS1 attenuator on the low power setting on my Origin - sounds like $#!+.
I actually like the PS1 on the 3210 to knock the brightness down just a tad.
I also have a BadCat Unleash V2 (it's a re-amp - kinda like the OX), but I use it to make my Haze15 louder...
Thanks for the reply. My main concern was whether the amp would be okay with this configuration but I take your point about stacking attenuators!

neikeel

Reaction score
Technically speaking you will be fine as long as your amp is in good condition. I think that Graham often used one 100w and one 50w with a pair of AX cabs. I’ve seen him a few times live (twice un -plugged in tiny venues) and the two half stacks was usual. He also prefers stomp boxes live with the guitar controls all full up.
Are you using a tele with neck PAF?

Brogues

Reaction score
Technically speaking you will be fine as long as your amp is in good condition. I think that Graham often used one 100w and one 50w with a pair of AX cabs. I’ve seen him a few times live (twice un -plugged in tiny venues) and the two half stacks was usual. He also prefers stomp boxes live with the guitar controls all full up.
Are you using a tele with neck PAF?
I was always intrigued by the two amps and cabs he used live with Blur (which I think were both 100w SLPs but he may have switched to one being 50 watt for solo gigs). From what I can make out it seems that only one amp head was in use at a time and so perhaps the second was a back up? From the pics I’ve seen, both amps were jumpered but only one would have a lead connected to an input. I think he may have then routed from the one amp to two cabs via a single powerbrake. Could be wrong through?

In terms of the guitar I’m using it’s a 52 reissue because I absolutely loved the twang he got from that during peak-Blur.

Latest posts