1960 Lead A vs B cab tone help

• Thread starter Back to Marshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a DSL 100! Head and the 1960 Lead A and B Cabinets. People say the A cabinet has a brighter sound than the straight front B cabinet, and that is true with my cabinets. I prefer the tone from the B cabinet to the angled A top cab.
My question is, is there any way to make the A cabinet sound any closer to the B? How about if I put a 12" square by approx 1-1/2" thick acustic foam block on the inside center of the back of the A cabinet. Not sure if this would actually take some of the brightness out or not.
Thanks in advance for any help.

aikiguy

Reaction score
I think the sound is a product of the physical dimensions. My guess would be that the only way to really make them sound the same would be to use A or two B cabs.

I have one of each, and I think I notice the B cab has more bottom end,but at the end of the day, I’m not sure that I really care. I can use either cab and like it as much, or sometimes I use a 112 Blackstar cab that is Celestian loaded, and I like it as much as well.

In any case, I think (my thoughts only) that if you want them to sound the same, they need to be the same.

BluezMe

Reaction score
I don't have a Clue.... but sounds like a Plan

If it were me... I think I'd throw in a crumpled up bed sheet or two and see if that has any affect... if it does... then try the acoustic foam.

Why not start with a larger piece... if it works but dampens too much... cut it down.
Maybe you need to cut it in two thinner separate pieces placed horizontally behind the speakers..
If you want to secure it on the Back Panel temporarily... find some two sided (carpet) tape

You're talking about Tuning a Cab... I suspect there might be some Trial and Error involved.
Early on... Marshall had Foam on the top bottom and sides of the inside of the Cab... there must have been a reason for that.... also a reason for not doing many that way.

Hopefully someone has a better perspective than I can offer you

Resident 217

Reaction score
Adding more would decreassse volume and make it brighter would it not?
Its not a lot of work so you could try.
You might take away some of the cabs tightness and therefore the brightness by adjusting the centre block.
That should give more movement to the back > cones> and air. Ive played with that before. Its subtle but real.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Yes. Turn the "A" cabinet away from you.
People have no understanding about direction when it comes to sound.

Anyone ever notice that an "A" cabinet is supposed to be on top of a "B" cabinet.

Also a "B" cabinet on top of a "A" cabinet will basically do what a "A cabinet on the floor will do because it is more directed at your face.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
There are at least two factors at work here. The "A" box has less cubic space. AND the top and bottom speakers are at different angles to each other, on different planes, thus making them that many degrees out of phase with each other. You can't really change either of those factors! That's why I prefer "B" boxes!
Is What It Is!
Gene

_Steve

Reaction score
There are at least two factors at work here. The "A" box has less cubic space. AND the top and bottom speakers are at different angles to each other, on different planes, thus making them that many degrees out of phase with each other. You can't really change either of those factors! That's why I prefer "B" boxes!
Is What It Is!
Gene

I guess a 3rd factor too is that the B cab has all the speakers on the same baffle. I remember reading/watching something a while back about how the speakers have slightly different characteristics when in close proximity on the baffle. Wish I could find that source again..

Reaction score
The bottom/B cabinet definitely has more thump than the top A cab. If I put my ear in front of a "B" speaker, and then in front of one of the forward facing bottom speakers in the "A" cabinet, the sound is different. I know the "A" cabinet sitting on top of the "B" puts those speakers at ear level, but there is more of a difference in sound than just that factor. My ears were comparing speakers that were all basically on the same plain, and not in front of the angled top speakers in the "A" cabinet.

Resident 217

Reaction score
There are 8 speakers in that configuration
all vary slightly , and each always getting different amounts of power at any given time.
As speakers age they change .
Some will sound better.
Some will be louder.

Some will wear out quicker than others.
And unfortunatley, Some will blow up sooner than others .

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Me thinks it has more to do with speakers pointing at your ears than is has to do with box volume.

Turn the A cab on its side and have a listen, try it upside down and have another listen...

BluezMe

Reaction score
You could read the thread of comments in the "Speaker break in HACK!" Post listed right above yours'.

The basic theme is how these guys go about "breaking in" their speakers and getting Better Tone.

I thought of you when reading this quote

"a warmer, fuller and richer more detailed speaker. I'd say the detail and dynamics are the biggest metamorphosis after the procedure. All speakers have a rich detail that is so intoxicating, a clear sweet top and a full low end that can be felt without any boominess"

Someone mentioned Clycerin Water. Googled it... and came up with 4 pages of Glycerin... guessin' that's a Typo... but maybe not

Crikey

Reaction score
I have a DSL 100! Head and the 1960 Lead A and B Cabinets. People say the A cabinet has a brighter sound than the straight front B cabinet, and that is true with my cabinets. I prefer the tone from the B cabinet to the angled A top cab.
My question is, is there any way to make the A cabinet sound any closer to the B? How about if I put a 12" square by approx 1-1/2" thick acustic foam block on the inside center of the back of the A cabinet. Not sure if this would actually take some of the brightness out or not.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Someone on here posted previously about putting their A can on the side and liked it. I think its a combo of up angled speakers and smaller top dimensions