1960A with JCM800 experiences

denikarabenc

Reaction score
I was researching for a long time this topic as I was in a market for a 4x12 cab so I just wanted to share my experience with the cab since I see this topic occasionally arises again, so this might help someone in the future.

A little background. I wanted to get SC20 and SC212 cab for it (all new) and I got a cab as it was available immediately, but I had to wait for the amp couple months. After couple of months, store called me and they said Marshall had some problems fulfilling demands, so amp is delayed for another 6-12 months. I was impatient, so I got 2203x from the same store. This was around April 2022.

My amp is in another town, so I cannot play it as much as I would like, but every other weekend I devote to it a fair amount of hours. This combination 2203 with 2 V-type speakers is just right. It feels good on its own, it feels good with band both for practice and live gigging. I like it a lot, so I didn't really need 4x12, but I really wanted one to fulfill my dreams since I was a kid.

I was torn on what to get, and was trying to get used one, but marketplace where I live is not really kind, every couple of months one beat up one comes up at around 500e that's 1960A or B with G12T-75. So I was waiting to get something what was more recommended here and other forums (Greenback, or V30s). Youtube videos of comparison of speakers left me even more confused because same speakers sounded different from video to video, so I decided to go to the shop, see what they have and pull the trigger. They had a cab 1960AX (whit greenbacks) and 1960A(with G12T-75) and Orange PPC412 (whit V30s). They were more than willing to let me try all of them with my amp, so I got my guitar and amp and went to the shop.

I spent around 3 hours in the shop, and the conclusion was that I liked the regular 1960A the best out of them, and getting one new for 599e was good deal by my standards (comparing to what you can find used and new in other stores). Greenbacks were cool, but it was like it had blanked on it compared to other two. v30s were a bit to much to my ears, and G12T-75 were just right. Also, completely different than youtube videos. Probably because I was not listening to them miced, and with the equipment that is going to use the cab, and not something else (which I believe is great on the videos, it's just not mine and not played through my hands), so it sounds different.

Anyways, I'm not going to explain how the speakers sounds, a lot of people more knowledgeable than me already did this in much details that it is insane, but I just wanted to say to people that if you are in the market for new cab, try the G12T-75 before disregard them. You might not like them, that is fine, but you might also find them to be pretty nice speakers, so be open and try if you can, you might be surprised at how good they are.

I am still going to gig mostly with SC212 because of the size and weight, but when opportunity arises, 4x12 is going to be carried around because both sounds great and I am happy either way.

Here are some messy pictures to apologize for the longer post (don't mind the messy room :) )

junk notes

Reaction score
I am patiently trying to score an SC head..
Playing at louder volumes, I use a G12-65 cab for the 2203 ( a recipe on many albums), but lately have been wanting to try out these V-types in a 4x12 and give them an opportunity, and compare. I can always flip them if they cannot compliment the amp, or deliver.
I think you made the right move as you can always pick up the SC and with time, the prices should come down post recession. (I do not have a loop on the JCM800, enjoy that 2203x rig for now!)

RCM 800

Reaction score
Be careful running that head into the 2x12. Its right over the edge of being maxed out if you push the volume up high.

Deftone

Reaction score
I've got a JCM800 2204 and while I haven't tried Greenbacks, I have tried it with V30's and I agree with your assessment...too much. I have the 1960 Vintage A/B cabs which came with V30's so I got myself a quad of G12T-75's, put them in the B cab and I love them with that amp. Perfect pairing to my ears. Same goes for my JCM800 2205.

Now my older JMP 2204, I prefer with the V30's. And I like the V30's with my JCM900 2500 SL-X as well as with my 4500 DR.

One more thing I'd like to add, I have a couple of 2x12's with one V30 & one G12H 30W 70th Anniversary and I love that pairing. The Anniversary really balances out the V30, to my ears and the combination sounds amazing. YMMV.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I put a pair of Greenbacks in the top spots of my 1960A and they’re awesome with the T75 in bottom. Sounds great with my SC20H.