1968 Super Lead

• Thread starter Beryllium-9
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Check it out!!

21fret

Reaction score
hey that’s a really nice ten series!

Ned B

Reaction score
Late '68 with preamp filter on top, but before they rotated the OT to bells front-to-back orientation. Would be easy to put right with original parts in the preamp.

neikeel

Reaction score
Shiny later OT end bells but cloth coloured secondaries with inaccurate laquer colour.
Suggests correct type of OT but replaced or just new endbells and clamps when the feet broke on the originals?

playloud

Reaction score
Looks pretty decent. Surprised to see such a late serial number (SL/A104xx) with that OT orientation and filter cap board (Version 7B).

21fret

Reaction score
Looks pretty decent. Surprised to see such a late serial number (SL/A104xx) with that OT orientation and filter cap board (Version 7B).
I recall @Beryllium-9 and @stratburst both have eleven series. nice!
@TAZIN might be able to offer a little insight on some of those parts that were used in a ten series.

playloud

Reaction score
I recall @Beryllium-9 and @stratburst both have eleven series. nice!
@TAZIN might be able to offer a little insight on some of those parts that were used in a ten series.

I think "10 series" is a bit ambiguous here.

As I understand it, there were three series of (gold panel) 100W serial numbers, in roughly chronological order:
"SL/ 10xxx" <- what most call a "10 series", starting '67
"SL/ 12xxx" <- "12 series", starting late '67/early '68
"SL/A 10xxx" <- this amp, starting late '68/early '69

Then of course, the suffixes (the first being "A", confusingly) started appearing after the numbers with the metal panel amps.

The serial numbers of the format "S/11xxx" are usually (always?) seen on 50W amps, while the "SP/20xxx" sequence is reserved for the PAs.

As you say, @TAZIN would definitely be able to confirm/deny the above!

Edit: amended to exclude the earlier white panel amps

neikeel

Reaction score
There were late 10 series with split cathode and Dagnalls. I’ve had two. Interestingly double drilled for the fatter Drake OTs (-119 or -132). Otherwise identical to 12 series.

playloud

Reaction score
There were late 10 series with split cathode and Dagnalls. I’ve had two. Interestingly double drilled for the fatter Drake OTs (-119 or -132). Otherwise identical to 12 series.

Absolutely. I said "late '67" for the 12xxx amps, but I'm not actually sure there were any until '68 - the earliest split cathode/Dagnall amps I've seen have all been SL/10xxx (but not SL/A 10xxx!)

TAZIN

Reaction score
These late '68 SL/A10series amps are a bit confusing since there are also 12series amps built the same way. The SL/A10series amps that I've seen were all in the 104xx range with the exception of a couple in the upper 103xx range. Component indicators point to late '68 with a transitional chassis layout. All of these amps use the early style H.T. (B+) routing on the turret board and some even have miswiring for the preamp filter cap. The somewhat high serial number range (104xx) isn't surprising since the '69 SL/A rear plexi panels seem to have been distributed randomly to workstations without the care of keeping them in chronological order.

As neikeel pointed out, the earliest split-cathode 100w amps seem to be late '67 builds and are the ones that use the gray colored RS brand 0.68uF caps. The identical circuit (component wise) can be found in a few early 11series 50w amps.

I think "10 series" is a bit ambiguous here.

As I understand it, there were three series of (gold panel) 100W serial numbers, in roughly chronological order:
"SL/ 10xxx" <- what most call a "10 series", starting '67
"SL/ 12xxx" <- "12 series", starting late '67/early '68
"SL/A 10xxx" <- this amp, starting late '68/early '69

Then of course, the suffixes (the first being "A", confusingly) started appearing after the numbers with the metal panel amps.

The serial numbers of the format "S/11xxx" are usually (always?) seen on 50W amps, while the "SP/20xxx" sequence is reserved for the PAs.
Your basic summation is on point.

playloud

Reaction score
The SL/A10series amps that I've seen were all in the 104xx range with the exception of a couple in the upper 103xx range. Component indicators point to late '68 with a transitional chassis layout. All of these amps use the early style H.T. (B+) routing on the turret board and some even have miswiring for the preamp filter cap. The somewhat high serial number range (104xx) isn't surprising since the '69 SL/A rear plexi panels seem to have been distributed randomly to workstations without the care of keeping them in chronological order.

This Italian dealer has sold an "SL/A100xx"and an "SL/A106xx". Both with the filter caps on top:

https://www.rockandvintage.it/prodo...l-en/1969-marshall-jmp-1959-super-lead-plexi/

https://www.rockandvintage.it/prodo...968-1969-marshall-super-lead-1959-plexi-100w/

TAZIN

Reaction score
Those examples from Italy have the standard '69 chassis layout with all filter caps mounted topside. The amps I'm talking about are the ones with only the Phase Inverter & Preamp filter caps mounted topside.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Which do you prefer?