1969 PA 20

• Thread starter AndyD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AndyD

Reaction score
Hi all, so late last week I collected this PA20 which I bought from Ebay. It was made in 1969 and apart from a non original logo and installation of an IEC socket, it appears to be completely original. Marshall apparently serviced it earlier this year. When I plugged in for the first time it was lacking in volume, crackly and lacking in treble. All I needed to do was to clean the input and output jacks and the amp then came to life. I owned a PA 20 about four or five years ago but didn't live with it very long. I am so pleased that I gave this amp a second chance because I absolutely love this thing. It is surprisingly loud for 20W and I get the best results from jumping the channels. The only modification I have done is to add a 500pf peaker to the now "lead" channel. When jumper I max the tone on the ordinary channel and blend that into the lead channel with the tone set at about 12 o'clock. It takes pedals exceptionally well and sounds wonderful cranked. Very Plexi like at a decent non attenuated volume. Love it!
dyivPgs.jpg

4tafpmJ.jpg
vaJhvuW.jpg
HNIsVOI.jpg
YI1C9Gx.jpg
jSIMeGr.jpg
6JMG5dR.jpg
BEje79v.jpg

PA 20 now with new repro logo.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have a Lead & Bass 20, 2061, built in '73. Basically the same amp with a slightly different voicing. My experience is similar to yours, and it has quickly become my favorite amp of the 15 amps I own. There's an interactivity to it, a responsiveness to how you play, that is positively seductive. It's like having a conversation with a soul mate, rather than just playing notes into a box that plays them back.

AndyD

Reaction score
I have a Lead & Bass 20, 2061, built in '73. Basically the same amp with a slightly different voicing. My experience is similar to yours, and it has quickly become my favorite amp of the 15 amps I own. There's an interactivity to it, a responsiveness to how you play, that is positively seductive. It's like having a conversation with a soul mate, rather than just playing notes into a box that plays them back.
Its a fun amp to play, for sure. A very open response I think.

dommarsh

Reaction score
Congratulations! Looks great and I'm sure it sounds fantastic! Looks like an original Hunt cap on the board? Just making an observation that Marshall serviced it and kept the original filter cap in there! Also, I've serviced a few of these, and my friends have a couple. On one of them, we installed vintage Mullard EL84s, and I swear after that change it sounded very close to my JTM45; just added that much more body and oomph. Also, a Mullard original 12ax7 in the first position may provide some additional magic :)

stratburst

Reaction score
Congratulations! Looks great and I'm sure it sounds fantastic! Looks like an original Hunt cap on the board? Just making an observation that Marshall serviced it and kept the original filter cap in there! Also, I've serviced a few of these, and my friends have a couple. On one of them, we installed vintage Mullard EL84s, and I swear after that change it sounded very close to my JTM45; just added that much more body and oomph. Also, a Mullard original 12ax7 in the first position may provide some additional magic :)
100% agree. The Mullards make a big difference.