• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1972 G12H greenback help with ric cones?

• Thread starter Lights out
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lights out

Reaction score
hello everyone and happy new year..need some help or info on this one...i believe this is a 72 GB with ric cones..everything looks good but i read that ric cones were mostly 74-76 creambacks...it also measures 8.5 OHM ... is this speaker legit or possibly a recone? any info on this speaker would be appreciated ...thanks and HNY

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 41
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 42
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 42
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 38

StingRay85

Reaction score
The answer is simple. The date code on your speaker is reversed, it's from May 1974. This happened during cream back period. So the only peculiar thing about your speaker is that it still has a green magnet cover. RIC cones are normal for this kind of speakers.

https://www.bygonetones.com/celestion-date-codes.html

Also this: "Similar speakers are the T1862; as T1234 but no plastic cover". Maybe the cover was fitted afterwards?

So it should be an 8 ohm impedance speaker. If you measure DC resistance, that should read out around 6.0-6.5.

Last edited:

Lights out

Reaction score
The answer is simple. The date code on your speaker is reversed, it's from May 1974. This happened during cream back period. So the only peculiar thing about your speaker is that it still has a green magnet cover. RIC cones are normal for this kind of speakers.

https://www.bygonetones.com/celestion-date-codes.html

Also this: "Similar speakers are the T1862; as T1234 but no plastic cover". Maybe the cover was fitted afterwards?

So it should be an 8 ohm impedance speaker. If you measure DC resistance, that should read out around 6.0-6.5.
thanks SR so i am reading a bit over 8 ohm could there be a issue with the voice coil? i will double check with a different metre also...thanks again

StingRay85

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I haven't had any vintage 8 ohm Celestion speaker so can't tell how close they were to 8 ohms. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it reads 30 ohms or something, then it's time to get worried.

But for instance the vintage JBL 8 ohm speakers would all read between 6 and 6.5DC resistance measured with a simple multimeter.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Usually 8 ohm speaker voice coils measure 5.9-7.2 ohms, but 8.5 is a little high. It might mean the voice coil is beginning to short out. How do they sound?

BygoneTones

Reaction score
That is a 1972 speaker frame. Typical stamp format for mid 72 with the day of the month missing. Also has the smooth paint finish correct for mid 72, but not 74.

T1862 is not a speaker model you see very often. It could be that Celestion changed the spec to include the magnet cover, or it could have been added later, but it is period correct for 72 and has the right info on it.

The RIC cone is unusual for 72 but looks stock to me. Maybe a later recone done by Celestion, or maybe Celestion changed the spec so that the RIC cone was standard on that model by 72. I think most the ones I have seen have been pre-1972.

Celestion did change spec on some speakers through the years.

Kelia

Reaction score
That is a 1972 speaker frame. Typical stamp format for mid 72 with the day of the month missing. Also has the smooth paint finish correct for mid 72, but not 74.

T1862 is not a speaker model you see very often. It could be that Celestion changed the spec to include the magnet cover, or it could have been added later, but it is period correct for 72 and has the right info on it.

The RIC cone is unusual for 72 but looks stock to me. Maybe a later recone done by Celestion, or maybe Celestion changed the spec so that the RIC cone was standard on that model by 72. I think most the ones I have seen have been pre-1972.

Celestion did change spec on some speakers through the years.
I have a question , the 1974 RIC G12H that I had had a nice punchy bell like piano tone when I played clean,
they sounded tighter than my Pre Rola's . Would you know which speakers on the market be similar to those ?

Jeff West

Reaction score
" The RIC cone is unusual for 72 but looks stock to me. Maybe a later recone done by Celestion, or maybe Celestion changed the spec so that the RIC cone was standard on that model by 72. I think most the ones I have seen have been pre-1972. "

Brian- My thought about that one is that the cork gasket like that, i.e., with black pieces mixed in with natural cork-colored pieces, was not typical for 1972 or 73. At least for ones I've had unless I'm remembering wrong, the mixed gasket as opposed to all natural color look was more typical for blackback era, for example I was just looking at numerous 1972, '73s and all are natural, but also a blackback T1281 from '78 has the mixed. Possibly that would argue for slightly later but not too much later RIC recone(?). Does that accord with your observations? Jeff

BygoneTones

Reaction score
" The RIC cone is unusual for 72 but looks stock to me. Maybe a later recone done by Celestion, or maybe Celestion changed the spec so that the RIC cone was standard on that model by 72. I think most the ones I have seen have been pre-1972. "

Brian- My thought about that one is that the cork gasket like that, i.e., with black pieces mixed in with natural cork-colored pieces, was not typical for 1972 or 73. At least for ones I've had unless I'm remembering wrong, the mixed gasket as opposed to all natural color look was more typical for blackback era, for example I was just looking at numerous 1972, '73s and all are natural, but also a blackback T1281 from '78 has the mixed. Possibly that would argue for slightly later but not too much later RIC recone(?). Does that accord with your observations? Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes you're right. I missed that detail. I have not seen those darker gaskets used as early as 72 either. Usually find them on late 70's blackbacks. Looking more likely this speaker could be a recone.

EDIT: Just had a look through my photos. The earliest I've got that type of gasket is in late 1974. Got a few examples from that period. With the RIC cones and the large rib pulsonic cones.

Last edited:

BygoneTones

Reaction score
I have a question , the 1974 RIC G12H that I had had a nice punchy bell like piano tone when I played clean,
they sounded tighter than my Pre Rola's . Would you know which speakers on the market be similar to those ?

Perhaps try an alnico speaker like the blue, but I'm probably not the best person to ask. I don't have much experience with modern speakers.

Emiel

Reaction score

Why not look at the Celestion Heritage G12H30 55hz or 75hz? I had the G12H30 55hz Heritage before and that is an excellent speaker.

Lights out

Reaction score
celestion gold.. buy used and if you don't like it sell it but nobody sells their golds their name says it all they are incredible