1972 Pulsonic G12-H30 75hz vs 1992 G12-M25 75hz '6402' Pulsonic RI: guess which is which

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I got a quad of original '70 and '72 Pulsonic G12-H30 75hz speakers. I'm going to make a huge speaker shootout but here's a little taste. Same 4x12 cab, same pic position. JVM orange channel. Volumes equalized. Which speaker do you prefer?

It's a direct A/B shootout, three riffs side-by-side.

Last edited:

79 2203

Reaction score
I can’t hear any difference. When you did a previous video comparing the 6402’s to Pulsonics it was obvious the older speakers were warmer, punchier and more midrangey, but these sound identical.
On a second listen maybe the second riff is a little more relaxed with less clang. But who knows, every H30 I’ve played has been brighter than M25’s.

Last edited:

LPman

Reaction score
I can’t hear any difference. When you did a previous video comparing the 6402’s to Pulsonics it was obvious the older speakers were warmer, punchier and more midrangey, but these sound identical.
On a second listen maybe the second riff is a little more relaxed with less clang. But who knows, every H30 I’ve played has been brighter than M25’s.

I can hear a difference but I won't reveal it yet. In that previous video those were M25 Pulsonics and these are H30 versions. I have a pair of '72s and a pair of '70s right now. I will test each of them against my 6402. It will be interesting, I'll be doing a pretty detailed comparison video when my Marshall 1987 arrives next week.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first clip is brighter, the second sounds as if a blanket was put over the first speaker. Honestly sounds like the mic placement on the second clip is further away from the center than the first one. Even a half inch makes difference when trying to compare speakers like that. Both sound good, I prefer the first sample. Cheers

LPman

Reaction score
The first clip is brighter, the second sounds as if a blanket was put over the first speaker. Honestly sounds like the mic placement on the second clip is further away from the center than the first one. Even a half inch makes difference when trying to compare speakers like that. Both sound good, I prefer the first sample. Cheers

This comparison was as scientific as can be in a practical sense. Mic secured to the straight cab, 6402 recorded then the Pulsonic went in its place and I recorded it too. There was a minimal volume difference which I equalized in the editing program. I will do this on video next week with 4 different Pulsonics. Than I'll redo it with 12 different Pulsonics. I'll add quads of '69 G12-M25 75hz's and '70 G12-M25 55hz's.

The sound is harsh here overall because 1. mic was placed almost in front of the speaker 2. it was recorded with a JVM which I'm not familiar with (I'm waiting for a 1987 to arrive right now)

C'mon folks, take a shot.

What?

Reaction score
First one is a little dark for my taste. Second one is more cutting. My ears want to hear something inbetween the two with more highs. How are these miked up?

The amp surprisingly sounds fine to me, given that so many people dog JVM's.

LPman

Reaction score
First one is a little dark for my taste. Second one is more cutting. My ears want to hear something inbetween the two with more highs. How are these miked up?

The amp surprisingly sounds fine to me, given that so many people dog JVM's.

Mic'd with a Shure dynamic almost to the center of the dust cap but not exactly. Yeah, the JVM surprised me too. The orange channel totally has a nice old JCM 800 horizontal input tone. I also think that these two speakers would complement each other and would mix incredibly. Sounds like a plan. Now I'm heading to test one of the '70s against the same 6402!

LPman

Reaction score
Here's round 2 folks.

Exact same setup but this time one is a '70 Pulsonic and the other is the same 6402 heard in the first clip (this will probably help revealing which is which). Exact same riffs side-by-side.

Unfortunately these jumpshare links are only up for 24h, I refreshed the first one.

Which one is the best out of all 3 speaker sounds so far?

LPman

Reaction score
A new Segeborn is born

(haha, God bless him, a really loveable dude but I've never heard a good Marshall tone from him)
I need to get away from the girls at home sometimes to preserve my sanity so I make these comparisons while I'm down at the dungeon to pass the time...

ROUND 2 above - which one is the 70 PULSONIC gentlemen?

StingRay85

Reaction score
Well, his 100K followers (including me) will say otherwise

LPman

Reaction score
Well, his 100K followers (including me) will say otherwise

I'm not included, but I respect the effort and historic documentation, it's priceless. The guy is also super nice. That tone is just not for me, I can't even figure out why. Heard classic Marshall sounds captured more authentically from random members on this forum.

What?

Reaction score
(haha, God bless him, a really loveable dude but I've never heard a good Marshall tone from him)
I need to get away from the girls at home sometimes to preserve my sanity so I make these comparisons while I'm down at the dungeon to pass the time...

ROUND 2 above - which one is the 70 PULSONIC gentlemen?
Here's round 2 folks.

I think Segeborn gets a pretty cool sound that he likes, but it is heavily colored by his room. It's not what I would consider a good representation of what Marshall amps sound like in person. More like, what Marshall amps sound like when heavily colored by his room. I do like the sound he gets though, for what it is.

First one sounds duller. Second one is more cutting, but not as bright as the second speaker in the first round. I think I'm liking the second speaker in the second round best so far. And yea, I guess that gives away the first speaker in both rounds.

79 2203

Reaction score
Like most of us, Segeborn just makes everything sound like himself. He has a tone, and it’s obvious that he’s influenced by early Kiss and early Sabbath. If you like those tones you’ll probably like Segeborn’s. I do, but I’ve definitely heard better and I can see why some dislike it.

Latest posts