1973 Marshall Super Lead with Gower Jose Mod

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a full-on Marshall guy and am glad to own one of my dream amps, which is the Dan Gower Jose Marshall. It's the best amp I've ever played. The only amps that I'm still interested in, are a stock Plexi and a real Jose Arredondo modded Marshall.
Here's a demo of the amp
and here's a shootout with an Orange Rockerverb MK III

What do you guys think about modded Marshalls and Dan Gower's mods and Jose Mods especially, and how do you think it compares to the Orange? Which one do you prefer?
I personally prefer the Marshall and think that Dan is one of the best in business and I would recommend him to anyone who wants to get his amp modded.

Excited to hear what you all think! :D

Attachments

• 1973-marshall-super-lead-gower-jose-mod.jpg
    1973-marshall-super-lead-gower-jose-mod.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4

john hammond

Reaction score
and hear the clean? they don't all clean up that sweet.
in my humble experience, if they dont do the clean something like this..they dont do the other thing.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I've actually been to his house and he's the nicest guy. Killer player too!
[QUOTE="Eddylenz, post.
Nice chops bro, and killer tones as well, and we have the same barber, (or lack of)
Don’t remember if ya got the welcome treatment!
:cheers:
:welcome: To the forum of loud.
As I am also a Marshall fanatic!
Cheers Mitch

john hammond

Reaction score
-youve said you're after a stock plexi, good idea.
They're different, with more gain, you gotta pay somewhere..and the stock plexi has a thinner tone than that, but a more complex one. Go the 100.
In fact I'd advise you if I were in a position to, to get at least 20 amplifiers. Just keep buying them or making them and stack them up somewhere out of the rain. And 3 cabs, although i think some here would advise at least 4 4x12 cabs.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's pretty rare that I'll watch videos from start to finish, but I did on the first one. The second video, well, I made it until about 30 seconds into the Orange portion (it just doesn't live up to the challenge). Also, not that you were asking, but I think the vintage white/cream Fender w/the FR sounded best.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
-youve said you're after a stock plexi, good idea.
They're different, with more gain, you gotta pay somewhere..and the stock plexi has a thinner tone than that, but a more complex one. Go the 100.
In fact I'd advise you if I were in a position to, to get at least 20 amplifiers. Just keep buying them or making them and stack them up somewhere out of the rain. And 3 cabs, although i think some here would advise at least 4 4x12 cabs.
Yeah, the Marshall was stock when I bought it (but had been modded before), so I know how awesome it can be. That said. I would never give my Gower up for a stock Super Lead. It would be more of an additional thing. I tried many different mods and different "stock" specs on that amp and the Gower is the best sound I've ever had.
If I had the money, I'd buy at least 20 amps ;D

Eddylenz

Reaction score
It's pretty rare that I'll watch videos from start to finish, but I did on the first one. The second video, well, I made it until about 30 seconds into the Orange portion (it just doesn't live up to the challenge). Also, not that you were asking, but I think the vintage white/cream Fender w/the FR sounded best.
Thank you!
I also think that the Orange can live up to the challenge. I've got another video coming out where I played them both with boosts (Lexicon pcm41 in the loop of the Marshall and MXR Berzerker Overdrive in front of the Orange). There it's a bit more of a close call but I still like the Marshall better.

Interesting, that you like the Fender the most. I honestly have never been 100% happy with the sound of that guitar, which is my I put the Custom Shop neck on my Warmoth EVH body. It sounds way better that way, at least to my ears.

boola1

Reaction score
I would happily donate a Super Lead for this kind of mod to fulfill my Kill Em All tone quest!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
beautiful tone, stunning. creamy but with bite.

The trouble with these "amp shootouts" is that most of them are using effects pedals.
There is no way to hear what the amp actually sounds like with all the crap plugged into it.

I propose: that "amp shootouts" using effects pedals are meaningless.:agreed:

I need to hear a guitar plugged straight into the amp before I can judge the sound of any amplifier.
I'm not listening to the amplifier, I'm hearing a bunch of effects gimmicks and it's making the test rather useless.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
The trouble with these "amp shootouts" is that most of them are using effects pedals.
There is no way to hear what the amp actually sounds like with all the crap plugged into it.

I propose: that "amp shootouts" using effects pedals are meaningless.:agreed:

I need to hear a guitar plugged straight into the amp before I can judge the sound of any amplifier.
I'm not listening to the amplifier, I'm hearing a bunch of effects gimmicks and it's making the test rather useless.
Good, that I didn't use any pedals in the first shootout then haha.
Tomorrow a video is going online where both amps are boosted, the Marshall with a Lexicon pcm41 in the loop and the Orange with an MXR ZW-44.