1980s Marshall 2000 Lead 250 Watt Head

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone own, or have seen, or played one of these? I've never even heard about this amp until recently, and I never seen a pic of one either, I'm sure they're very rare. From what I can gather this model was released the same time as the Jcm800, 1981,...actually April of 1981. They released one for guitar and one for bass that year.

I would love to see and hear one, even a pic or video of one would be great.

Anyone have or know of one?

Here's what little info I found, I copied it from Dr Tube website, listed as Marshall Schematics,...

"The 2000 Series"

"The 2000 Lead and 2001 Bass heads are probably the loudest and most powerfull Marshall tube amps ever built. These amps were introduced in april 1981, around the same time as the JCM800 series. It isn't clear if these amps were actually part of the JCM800 series. The schematics suggest they are, but you won't find JCM800 printed on the amps.

Special high power version of the speaker cabinets were made for these beasts.

2000 Lead, 250W head
Pre amp schematic with 6x ECC83 Issue 2 (Marshall, 1981).

Pre amp schematic with 6x ECC83 Issue 3 (Marshall, 1986).

Power amp and PSU schematic with 6x 6550 Issue 2 (Marshall, 1981).

Power amp and PSU schematic with 6x 6550 Issue 3 (Marshall, 1986).

1982A Lead, 4x12" 400W 16Ω angled front cabinet.
1982B Lead, 4x12" 400W 16Ω straight front cabinet.

These high power Lead 1982 cabinets were made for the 2000 Lead head. They were fitted with four Celestion G12H100 T3595 16Ω speakers".

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Did Angus Young ever have a 350w head custom made?

at one point, years ago, there was a classified on here, someone selling one. It had the most info/pictures I ever had seen, unfortunately, the images were probably photobucket & have since been messed up, or gone...

They really did the world a disservice when they did that, because all of the archival images being shred across many forums. Probably millions of archive photos gone in an instant...

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Angus Young ever have a 350w head custom made?

at one point, years ago, there was a classified on here, someone selling one. It had the most info/pictures I ever had seen, unfortunately, the images were probably photobucket & have since been messed up, or gone...

They really did the world a disservice when they did that, because all of the archival images being shred across many forums. Probably millions of archive photos gone in an instant...
Thanks for the link DOD! First one I've ever seen or heard so thank you for that!

Man it's a monster, the chassis takes up the whole width of the cabinet! :shock: I'm assuming that cab is a full size cab, 29 & 1/2 inches wide.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fusedbrain

Reaction score
HaHa...I played through a bass version many years ago at a local music store. ( I was a working bass player in my younger days )
I remember thinking it sounded great, but it was huge, loud as hell and large $$. I was happy with my bass rig at the time, so I passed.
Thats the only one of these I've ever seen in person, or seen offered for sale anywhere, to this day.
I had no idea there was a guitar version until I saw this thread LOL.

TomCarlos

Reaction score
Anyone own, or have seen, or played one of these? I've never even heard about this amp until recently, and I never seen a pic of one either, I'm sure they're very rare. From what I can gather this model was released the same time as the Jcm800, 1981,...actually April of 1981. They released one for guitar and one for bass that year.

Yes, I am working on a Series 2000 right now. It belongs to a friend of mine. But I am having difficulty getting the MIX inputs and Channel Switching to work. I posted a couple threads on here but so far, no replies that might help me. I would love to get my hands on an April 1981 schematic - the original. If anyone has any leads on the original schematic (or service manual), please drop me a line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marshallhead

Reaction score
What footswitch are you using with the amp, and does the channel interaction happen both with and without the footswitch connected?

TomCarlos

Reaction score
I am using a two button, simple On/Off (SPST) switch.

The channel interaction is one thing - and it might be resolved.

The problem with my amp is with the Mix Input Cliff Jack. If you look at the schematic, it is NOT clear if the TIP part of the jack is Normally Closed (as are 99.9% of the jacks) or if Marshall did something odd my using a jack where the Tip=No, Ring and Sleeve=NC. The jack was replaced so I have no idea if the correct jack was installed.

2000pre2.gif

Last edited:

TomCarlos

Reaction score
Ok.... It turns out, you CANNOT use a simple two button SPST switch. When you do channel adding, you need something like what I am showing in the attached photo. I have tested this theory with jumper wires - it works.

New Footswitch.jpg

Latest posts