1984 Camaro...yeah, so...this is mine, too...driving it back this weekend.

• Thread starter Scumback Speakers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
So, I gave this car to my nephew after I couldn't put a real motor in it in CA (unless I wanted to spend $15k for an LS3 swap), so I gave it to my nephew. Well, CO adopted the CA CARB regulations so now he can't put a real motor in it. But, since it's a "Historical Vehicle" here in AZ, I can do whatever I want...including losing the smog pump, EGR/AIR crap, cats, put in true dual exhaust, and a new motor. Woohoo.

Going with an ATK HP98 350/345HP/400TQ and ditching that dog 305 V8, 150hp/210TQ motor as soon as I get back. Got the 700r4 OD auto, Star Wars Dash, every option under the sun, including the Bose AM/FM/tape deck with graphic EQ that swivels on the pod. Had a "down to the metal" $8k paint job done to it in 2013 (before the CARB snafu), still looks pretty good after 11 years. Of course, it's been sitting in a hangar under my bro's jet wing since 2015. LOL

Some pics taken this morning...
camaromileage.jpg

camarops.jpg

camarods.jpg

camarorear.jpg

camarofront.jpg

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I gave this car to my nephew after I couldn't put a real motor in it in CA (unless I wanted to spend $15k for an LS3 swap), so I gave it to my nephew. Well, CO adopted the CA CARB regulations so now he can't put a real motor in it. But, since it's a "Historical Vehicle" here in AZ, I can do whatever I want...including losing the smog pump, EGR/AIR crap, cats, put in true dual exhaust, and a new motor. Woohoo.

Going with an ATK HP98 350/345HP/400TQ and ditching that dog 305 V8, 150hp/210TQ motor as soon as I get back. Got the 700r4 OD auto, Star Wars Dash, every option under the sun, including the Bose AM/FM/tape deck with graphic EQ that swivels on the pod. Had a "down to the metal" $8k paint job done to it in 2013 (before the CARB snafu), still looks pretty good after 11 years. Of course, it's been sitting in a hangar under my bro's jet wing since 2015. LOL

Some pics taken this morning...
camaromileage.jpg

camarops.jpg

camarods.jpg

camarorear.jpg

camarofront.jpg
I'll take it.

Queued:

Last edited:

Ronquest

Reaction score
Just made the AZ to Maine trip a few weeks ago moving my parents. I'd been down there for 25 years prior. Told my dad to sell his car and get an AZ truck before driving to Maine, but he wouldn't listen. A week later in Maine he says, I need to get a truck. Only thing up here is rust.
Back on subject, I've had a few of that generation Camaros and Firebirds, some good memories and lots of wrenching. I remember from that era that the Camaros were always wrecked in the rear and the Mustangs in the front.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Smoking cool cars. I've always had a thing for the Camaro & Trans Am, as my Godfather was a designer on the 1982 Trans Am Firebird, and they hooked me in at a very young age. The paint actually looks really nice from the photos ... can't wait to see what you do with her! Any interior shots? Under the hood shots?

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Smoking cool cars. I've always had a thing for the Camaro & Trans Am, as my Godfather was a designer on the 1982 Trans Am Firebird, and they hooked me in at a very young age. The paint actually looks really nice from the photos ... can't wait to see what you do with her! Any interior shots? Under the hood shots?
After the engine swap, yes. It's got the standard Berlinetta tan/black accents for the interior.

Thevenin

Reaction score
I wonder when they'll stop using this one for a sign. I drive past it every weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416-230033_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416-230033_Firefox.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 11

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
After the engine swap, yes. It's got the standard Berlinetta tan/black accents for the interior.

Inside of that beautiful exterior, I have a feeling that the interior says "I loved to party in the 80's!". Those are my favorites. I had a 1985 Corvette like that. Cars where you can literally smell the booze, cigarettes, cocaine, sweat, and sex. Vince Neil's voice is coming through the speakers, but the radio isn't even on. Then again, knowing you, the inside is probably immaculate. Love the classics!

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
The car needed a radiator flush plus a new coolant temperature sensor. Going to have the shop it’s at do the oil & filter change, too. The interior still looks great. When I get it back home, I’ll do better pictures. Right now in Longmont Colorado it’s snowing and it’s currently about 3 inches deep and still coming down. I may drive back tomorrow instead of today.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Berlinetta model. Getting very rare. Had one years ago. It appears your front clip and bumper aren't original berlinetta tho. Cool cars.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Haven't seen one of these in quite a while. I believe some of these up through around say 1982 had a 267 v8 option, if I remember correctly.

The 305 is a powerhouse when compared to the 267. Yes, it is sad lol. A friend had a 2.8 Camaro, 0-60 in like...3 days?

Everyone and their brother is doing the LS swap it seems nowadays but I notice it is never as cheap as they make it out to be. Not in anyway.

I have quite a few older cars myself and people do not realize how expensive they are to mess with. It makes this whole guitar thing seem cheap by comparison...and it is really not. Nothing fun comes cheaply.