2018 Dsl 40cr Full Review...

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
So I received my new DSL 40 this afternoon and gave it a couple of hours of tweaking, here are my findings. This review is compared to my old JCM2000 DSL 50 that I have had for almost 10 years. The Reverb is still Meh! Don't care I have pedals.

First of all, the 2 added master volumes give you an entire new range of gain and volume sounds when blended with the gain and volume of each channel. you can crank the channel volume and back off the master to get a much more pushed power section type of tone if you want, and also get much better cranked sounds at lower volumes using the masters.

The EQ itself it much better sounding all around. No more ear piercing clanking highs and no more flubby lows, (although you can dial in extremes using the resonance and presence). But no more living on 2 with your treble and presence when you use the ultra channel.

Much more balanced EQ between the channels. No more huge volume jump, and only minor EQ tweaks needed between Classic and Ultra channels.

More gain on Classic, and less gain on Ultra. Subjective to opinions, but much better balance IMO. Classic Crunch now does close to Slash type gain if cranked, and Ultra is dialed back a bit, plus it's a lot more open and less compressed sounding.

V-Type speaker... Very well matched to this amp. I'm a huge V30 fan and my old JCM800 cab I use has 2 V30's and 2 H30's, this speaker is very well matched. Nothing offensive sounding out of the box.

The most surprising thing is that Ultra 2 is actually useable! No more flubby low end and fizzy highs! Kick it in with modest gain and put the mid shift in and it's an amazing EVH brown sound. Lows are much tighter and punchier on all channels. Much more like an old 5150 than the previous DSL. The low end is tight and chunky.
Overall I'd say Marshall nailed it 20 years later with the DSL. LOL! I'm sure it will sound even better after a good tube swap and a bias adjustment.

stinkfinger

Reaction score
Sweet... how well does the "low output" mode work in terms of tone suck?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
What about external bias points?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
That sounds really good actually. Damn!! I found not enough gain on Crunch channel 1 on the last DSL40. Hmm....oh, oh...

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
I have one being allocated to me from Sweetwater to replace a faulty unit, and this seems like an improvement if I've ever heard one. I got along really well with the previous version and got great tones out of it, but this seems like an amp I'll get quite a bit of enjoyment out of. In the name of curiosity, what are the stock tubes? Are they still the Marshall branded tubes?

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I have one being allocated to me from Sweetwater to replace a faulty unit, and this seems like an improvement if I've ever heard one. I got along really well with the previous version and got great tones out of it, but this seems like an amp I'll get quite a bit of enjoyment out of. In the name of curiosity, what are the stock tubes? Are they still the Marshall branded tubes?

Still Marshall branded Chinese tubes i'd assume. But if you liked your previous version, you'll be much happier with this amp. it's a major improvement.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
My JMD 6 button footswitch does not work with this amp BTW. Unlike the JVM footswitch is supposed to.

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Still Marshall branded Chinese tubes i'd assume. But if you liked your previous version, you'll be much happier with this amp. it's a major improvement.

Awesome. I dug the old version, despite having had 2 bum units. Sweetwater is making things right by me. I resolved to purchase some better tubes in case tube death happens early and I'll be prepared. It sounds like Marshall really did their homework with this amp.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Only issue I see is that all the channels and modes use relays to switch now, hope that doesn't become an issue.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Only issue I see is that all the channels and modes use relays to switch now, hope that doesn't become an issue.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read the amp comes with a two button footswitch. Does the footswitch only switch between channels and not modes? Is the switching time pretty fast with the footswitch?

I think I read that these new DSL amps were design by Santiago. My 410H uses relays, and I've had not problem with malfunction or speed. I guess time will tell to be certain.

Congratulations on the new amp. Pics and clips perhaps when you get a chance?

EndGame00

Reaction score
Great review. It's good to hear they finally re-tweaked the Ultra Channel. Perhaps the V Type speaker is better suited with the DSL than the Creamback 65 ...

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Great review. It's good to hear they finally re-tweaked the Ultra Channel. Perhaps the V Type speaker is better suited with the DSL than the Creamback 65 ...

Dude when mine comes in, I'll let you know. I absolutely love the Creamback, and it'll be something if this turns out being something that satisfies even more.

Jimmyohio75

Reaction score
Here is the footswitch that came with my DSL20HR that I just picked up today. Great amp. Much improved over the previous versions.
dugxCbp.jpg

JAC

Reaction score
So I received my new DSL 40 this afternoon and gave it a couple of hours of tweaking, here are my findings. This review is compared to my old JCM2000 DSL 50 that I have had for almost 10 years. The Reverb is still Meh! Don't care I have pedals.

First of all, the 2 added master volumes give you an entire new range of gain and volume sounds when blended with the gain and volume of each channel. you can crank the channel volume and back off the master to get a much more pushed power section type of tone if you want, and also get much better cranked sounds at lower volumes using the masters.

The EQ itself it much better sounding all around. No more ear piercing clanking highs and no more flubby lows, (although you can dial in extremes using the resonance and presence). But no more living on 2 with your treble and presence when you use the ultra channel.

Much more balanced EQ between the channels. No more huge volume jump, and only minor EQ tweaks needed between Classic and Ultra channels.

More gain on Classic, and less gain on Ultra. Subjective to opinions, but much better balance IMO. Classic Crunch now does close to Slash type gain if cranked, and Ultra is dialed back a bit, plus it's a lot more open and less compressed sounding.

V-Type speaker... Very well matched to this amp. I'm a huge V30 fan and my old JCM800 cab I use has 2 V30's and 2 H30's, this speaker is very well matched. Nothing offensive sounding out of the box.

The most surprising thing is that Ultra 2 is actually useable! No more flubby low end and fizzy highs! Kick it in with modest gain and put the mid shift in and it's an amazing EVH brown sound. Lows are much tighter and punchier on all channels. Much more like an old 5150 than the previous DSL. The low end is tight and chunky.
Overall I'd say Marshall nailed it 20 years later with the DSL. LOL! I'm sure it will sound even better after a good tube swap and a bias adjustment.

Good review! I appreciate this review coming from someone who also has a DSL 50 and a former JCM800 user. I like what I have read. It sounds like the new DSL40 have passed up the original one, which I myself like very much as well. Nice job.