• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2204 input question

• Thread starter Kurt Griffey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Griffey

Reaction score
On my cascaded 2204, If I plug into the high input with my guitar, then plug another cable into the low input i't's suppose to kill the high input signal, However I still get a weak signal bleeding through. Is this normal.

South Park

Reaction score
The low input is the second triode of the first tube without the gain of the first triode . So why bother with the low input. Most amp builders instal both inputs just to fill the holes

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pedals sound better to me in the low input
Yes, this is true. I’ve noticed that on my SC20. Also I think its got a beautiful completely clean signal at moderate volumes.

Last edited:

Buzzard

Reaction score
Especially some of my over the top fuzz pedals like the black cat monster k fuzz.The dirty shirley pedal sounded really good in the low input also.It's nice to have that option.Up until now I've never had a use for it.

junk notes

Reaction score
The low input is the second triode of the first tube without the gain of the first triode . So why bother with the low input. Most amp builders instal both inputs just to fill the holes
???

junk notes

Reaction score
Especially some of my over the top fuzz pedals like the black cat monster k fuzz.The dirty shirley pedal sounded really good in the low input also.It's nice to have that option.Up until now I've never had a use for it.
Correct. Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix (&Noel Redding) and counting... all do it.

South Park

Reaction score
When you plug into the low input with a boost pedal you get the same thing as the high input. If using the low input works for you go for it .

Buzzard

Reaction score
It sounds lower gain to me with a pedal? Maybe there’s something wrong with mine idk? I do know straight into the low input there’s hardly any volume till you get up to about 5.

South Park

Reaction score
It is cascade circuit the out of the first triode is maxed out for power it then goes to the gain pot then goes to the low input the second triode normal gain . That is how you get a overdriven tube.

hpharley90

Reaction score
It sounds lower gain to me with a pedal? Maybe there’s something wrong with mine idk? I do know straight into the low input there’s hardly any volume till you get up to about 5.
Dont forget to turn both preamp and master volume up.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

The "low" input is one preamp stage which is cleaner. The high input is 2 stages for distortion.
The low input might work better with a pedal platform.

Latest posts