• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

2555x First impression.

• Thread starter medicjg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

medicjg

Reaction score
So my 2555x arrived today. It was packaged well and I dug it out of the box and sat it on top of my 1960ax loaded with green backs. The clean channel sounded great it did not have a whole lot of head room with my Luke3 using the humbuckers in passive mode. With rhythm clip engaged really nice tone. Now switching to the lead channel it turned to pretty much fizz. Rhythm clip out more fizz. Out of the box very disappointed. My 900 DR runs rings around the jub side by side. So now I have to wait til Monday to pull the chassis throw in a quad of Ruby BSTR tubes and some decent preamp tubes with a good bias to determine whether or not it's going back. I have to say I picked up a Dr Z Remedy last week as well and without a doubt out of the box the Z blows it away in every way for the same coin. I was wondering how everyone else feels about it. I know a few have had to of landed.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqa7fyzs4W0
(just picked an average example clip of the original jubilee randomly)

this is how a jubilee is suppose to sound. no more no less. thats the tone you are looking for right there in that clip...if not might have prob with tubes or cold bias or it's a different amp than the original.
its a fat sounding son of a b$##%&$. and like all marshalls it liked to be opened up. it's not a bedroom amp (even a jcm 800 2203 is fizzy at low volumes)
one last note..the jubilee might not be what you are looking for.

medicjg

Reaction score
I have no doubt it is a cold bias. Probably even cheap tubes. I have played through a black tolex jub before. This is the first Marshall I have taken out of a box. They should send the amp out tuned and ready to go. I'm sure I wilL be able to tune it up and get a good tone out of it. Just for comparison the Z was right from the first time it came out of standby. If I can't get it to sound right back it will go. I'm looking to hear what some of the other forum members impressions have been with the amp straight out of the box.

wardal

Reaction score
I have had mine for 5 days now and really got to open it up day one, but not since. I thought it sounded great wide open. I have found that on low volume on the 100 watt setting it sounds fizzy-but in the low setting it does not sound fizzy at all. I would like to try differing power tubes in there just to see what different tubes can do to it. Hopefully just the bias is off on yours and that fixing it will make all the difference.

medicjg

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. I wouldn't even be surprised if mine doesn't have a bad tube in it. I have to admit the DR Z Remedy is a beast of an amp. It's a plexi circuit with a ppiv master volume and a 6V6 out put section. I'm looking forward to pulling the chassis of the SJ out and tune it up. I have th e tubes to completely re tube it and bias it. I will report back when I get a chance to work on it. I was running it a 100 watts but at decent volume. I don't have to worry about the neighbors.

Marker

Reaction score
You don't need to remove the amp chassis from the hearshell to either replace the tubes and/or tune the bias; the 2555X has external bias test points and trim pot on the top of the chassis (just remove the back grill to access it).
You can even run different power tubes other than EL34.

However if you do remove it from the headshell please take some pictures of the inside and share them with us...

medicjg

Reaction score
It makes easier to pop preamp tubes in and out with chassis out.

Ade2064

Reaction score
I went in the shop to get one, ran it side by side with a2203x, and was a bit disappointed with the jub to be honest, wasn't as 3 dimensional as the 2203, and nowhere near the balls. didntseem that loud for a100watt marshall either. Ended up getting the jcm800 instead. Awesome head.

thegaindeli

Reaction score
1. Bias the power valves accordingly.
With the power section biased, direct your attention to the phase inverter valve. Try a 5751 in the PI. A lower range bias should not create fizz, so don't go too crazy with the heat. I like to bias by ear, which usually ends up at the mid to top range.

2. Do the "fizzies" disappear when the amp is cranked?
If the fizz disappears (blends) when the master volume is cranked, the amp is operating exactly as it should. I would say that you may have purchased more "Marshall" than you need for a given space.

My experience has been that a 100 watt isn't that much louder than a 50 watt, but a 50 watt doesn't exhibit "fizz" to the extent of a 100 watt. I get some "fizz" from my authentic 2550 in 50 watt mode, but it blends-in beautifully when cranked. No "fizzies" in 25 watt mode. :yesway:

If you must have a 50/100 Jubilee circuit, you may want to consider purchasing a hand-wired clone instead. Modify the PI with a 100pf/120pf capacitor, and use polyester film capacitors in the signal path. My 100 watt Cornford is a beast of an amp! No "fizz" at all, unless I dial it in.

From Duane Allman's Live at the Fillmore tones, to numerous ZZ Top recordings, and nearly every rock/metal composition from the 70's forward... That "fizz" is part of the beloved Marshall sound. Embrace the fizz! :D

Tip:
Try a quad of Celestion G12H30 55Hz drivers.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
I went in the shop to get one, ran it side by side with a2203x, and was a bit disappointed with the jub to be honest, wasn't as 3 dimensional as the 2203, and nowhere near the balls. didntseem that loud for a100watt marshall either. Ended up getting the jcm800 instead. Awesome head.

well i have both the originals and they are both amazing amps. the jube can get the 2203 tone for days...you have to know how to dial it up. gain should not go beyond 7and to get the 2203 crunch set the gain on 4 and high up the mids.
now i am talking two vintage original amps. one from 83 and one from 87...did marshall miss the mark with the reissue SJ?i don't know and i guess for that i would have to hear a reissue sj my self and then pass judgment.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I would never trust what I hear in a shop unless there is proof of what is in it and how it is setup.

A bad tube, worthless bias setup or contaminated jack can make the most expensive tube amplifier sound inferior.

Yes that does make it hard to figure things out and make decisions.

Ade2064

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong,i got some nice sounds out of it once it was dialled in, it just sounded a bit flat compared to the 800, the sound didnt jump out of the speakers as much. I came close to getting it though, had it on the counter ready, just changed my mind at the last second.

The jcm seemed to be built better too,and the trannies looked huge compared to the ones in the jub.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
the trannies looked huge compared to the ones in the jub.

the reissue sj trannies and the total build is different than the original jubilee. but i am sure they can be tuned up to sound excellent.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Its no big deal. They are both good amplifiers though different. Some always prefer one type over another.

I always have to think and wonder about conditions.

Marshall Vintage speakers really make the Jubilee (the dark one) stand forward. What speakers were loaded in the cabinets?

SlyStrat

Reaction score
The 2203 and Jube are really different sounding amps.
I kinda prefer the darker Jube tone too.

Ade2064

Reaction score
Speakers were v30s, wasn't that i didn't like it, i got some nice tones, just didn't sound quite as sweet as the jcm to me. A bit one dimensional, where the jcm kind of leapt from the speakers a bit more, and had a lot more balls,I had the jub on the counter ready to buy, but changed my mind at the last second! Lol

Ade2064

Reaction score
I also had a jvm 410 in there, which sounded nice, but very noisy. A lot more options though.

Latest posts