2x12 and PRS HDX20

• Thread starter hwy1378
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hwy1378

Reaction score
So I turned my PRS HDX20 on and had it plugged into my Marshall 2x12 . I came back half hour later and I was smelling an electric smell. Started playing and 15 into it it shut off? Now one thing I can say is I had it plugged into the 16ohm l plugin?? I see I should have had it into the 2x 8ohm? Could this have caused the shutdown? Any ideas what happened. That amp is only two years old

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I turned my PRS HDX20 on and had it plugged into my Marshall 2x12 . I came back half hour later and I was smelling an electric smell. Started playing and 15 into it it shut off? Now one thing I can say is I had it plugged into the 16ohm l plugin?? I see I should have had it into the 2x 8ohm? Could this have caused the shutdown? Any ideas what happened. That amp is only two years old
8 ohm load on the 16 ohm tap is not a severe mismatch, but would add stress to the amp.
Playing after smelling something unusual was probably not a good idea.
Have you done anything since, like check the tubes, fuses, or looked around for anything else that may appear amiss?
Does the amp power back on after "it shut off"?

hwy1378

Reaction score
8 ohm load on the 16 ohm tap is not a severe mismatch, but would add stress to the amp.
Playing after smelling something unusual was probably not a good idea.
Have you done anything since, like check the tubes, fuses, or looked around for anything else that may appear amiss?
Does the amp power back on after "it shut off"?
Let me do all that looking around. I never have taken an amp cover off to see the electrical stuff little scary for me but I will. That fuse is impossible to find unless I’m not looking in the right place ?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me do all that looking around. I never have taken an amp cover off to see the electrical stuff little scary for me but I will. That fuse is impossible to find unless I’m not looking in the right place ?
I'm not familiar with the amp, so I can't advise as to the location of the fuse(s).
Does it power on and make no sound, or is it dead at the switch?

Hard to diagnose tubes if there's no power, but you can look for obvious bad signs like white or discolored tubes.

There's not much danger on the outside of the chassis, and if you're not familiar with amp circuits perhaps a trip to the tech is the best course of action.
The capacitors can possibly store high voltages that would ruin your day if you become a path to ground.