3 JCM800 Samples - Sound Clips for comparison

• Thread starter 6knobs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

6knobs

Reaction score
I've got a few versions of this amp at the moment, each with slightly different traits. Thought it would be interesting to record them and hear the differences. I was surprised at how unique each sounded, so I thought I'd share. Purely for academic (nerd) purposes. Prepare to be underwhelmed by my power chording.

'88 2204 (fresh electrolytics)
Telefunken NOS preamp tubes
JJ EL34 power tubes

'87 4010 (fresh electrolytics)
JJ preamp tubes
Electro Harmonix EL34's
(Cap on the mids pot is disconnected)

'83 2204 (completely original)
JJ preamp tubes
ARS KT88 power tubes

Settings are approx the same across all amps. Preamp volume at 6, everything else at noon. Same patch on my OX (greenback 412). Playing from a looper, so no variations in sucky playing.

It's worth noting that the '88 (first amp) has an additional transformer. My tech says it's a filament heater. It appears to be for functional purposes, not extra gain or whatever.

Last edited:

6knobs

Reaction score
Pics of the '88 with the additional trannie. There's before and after I did the cap job.

RcyaQUb.jpg

CMaldNN.jpg

4cgnnzu.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with the above. The first amp sounded the most compressed and gainy, but the last two were more punchy and open sounding. I was listening on my phone speakers, through. I liked the last one the best. It’s surprising that the ‘87 4010 sounded more like the ‘83 than the ‘88. Nice comparison!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've got a few versions of this amp at the moment, each with slightly different traits. Thought it would be interesting to record them and hear the differences. I was surprised at how unique each sounded, so I thought I'd share. Purely for academic (nerd) purposes. Prepare to be underwhelmed by my power chording.

'88 2204 (fresh electrolytics)
Telefunken NOS preamp tubes
JJ EL34 power tubes

'87 4010 (fresh electrolytics)
JJ preamp tubes
Electro Harmonix EL34's
(Cap on the mids pot is disconnected)

'83 2204 (completely original)
JJ preamp tubes
ARS KT88 power tubes

Settings are approx the same across all amps. Preamp volume at 6, everything else at noon. Same patch on my OX (greenback 412). Playing from a looper, so no variations in sucky playing.

It's worth noting that the '88 (first amp) has an additional transformer. My tech says it's a filament heater. It appears to be for functional purposes, not extra gain or whatever.

The character of the first 2 sounded about the same to me, only the first one obviously has more gain. The 3rd one seemed to have more mids. Wouldn't say any one of them sounded better than the other, but the 2nd one is closest to what I dial for a good rock rhythm, add pedals for more gain, guitar volume down for cleaner... I'd be interested in knowing what the filament voltages are, if the extra filament transformer is the only significant difference.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Most aggressive ’88
Most mellow/tame ‘87
Most balanced ‘83

through device speakers, ‘88 and ‘83 are close enough to be able to fool in a blind test. I can say I like ‘83 slightly better, but the difference is near-negligable. By preference, 3-1-2 but barely for top spot.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I have used a bunch of telefunken 12ax7s in my amps but i find them sterile sounding. Sell them to the hifi folks and get some xf2 's...

By the way i really liked all of them but 2 and 3 are my favorites

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Very nice comparison.
1st one has the most gain as expected from horizontal input models.
I liked the third one the most.
I think probably with a bit tweaking of the tone stack you wouldn't be able to hear the difference.
but let's talk about how lucky you are to have 3 non reissue JCM800's at your stable:h5: