#34 mod sound with a pedal?

• Thread starter picotto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

picotto

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm obsessed with the #34 mod sound which Slash used in the UYI songs. Now I would like to know, if I can emulate the sound with a pedal or anything.

I have a Marshall JVM410H with a Marshall JCM 800 1960 cab with 4x G12T75 speaker. Beside that I use the Boss GE7. With this equipment my sound is nearly exactly as the #34 mod sound. But there is something missing. It's this "hiss" of the #34 mod sound, not that much treble, but this scratchy tone like an old radio. I hope you know what I mean.

With my JVM410H I already use the maximum of presence, od1 orange with bass 7, middle 4, treble 5 and gain 1. The settings of the GE7 are like a pyramid.

I tried any other od oder crunch channel, even the mxr 10 band eq, but nothing helped. It seems I need even more presence.

Anyone has any idea what could help to get that special sound?

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I’d back off the presence a bit, back the bass way down, bump mids and treble to 2:30/3:00. I’m not a fan of a stock GE7 at all myself. Also remember you are trying to match a studio tone with your amp in the room. Even the real amp ithat was recorded prob didn’t sound exactly like what you hear on the album.

I also do not like those 75s at all—too scooped, which is why you really need to boost the mids on the amp. With V30s, which is what I believe Slash uses, your mids could prob be backed down to noon.