'70 super lead-Wrong bright cap?

• Thread starter Jodyzuza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Hey guys appreciate you helping me sort my old marshall out! I cut one lead of the bright cap on the bright channel and it sounds great!! However to my surprise, it's not a 5k cap (as far as I know)...it says ".0047" followed by the letter "Z"...I'll try to include a picture of it...
I'm going to try a 100mf silver mica as Josh recommends, I can't wait to hear it!

Also, has anyone tried the mod from Jeff bakos, (bakosampworks.com) where the .005 mf volume 1 cap is soldered onto the volume 2 pot...I saw it in the April 2008 tonequest report from Mercury magnetics...gonna try that next....in their own words:" it transforms a the sound of the notoriously dull channel 2 to a fat, warm, musically rich and bright sound that works perfectly every time"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 50

Joshabr1

Reaction score
.0047 is 4700pf it's basically the same as 5k in sound and feel. 100pf channel one.

Joshabr1

Reaction score
Hell put a 100pf on the dull channel. Experiment see what u yourself likes. What else matters? 100pf 47pf 200 220 all good values to me. If u can't play with the amp cranked u can't get the full affect.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
.0047 is 4700pf it's basically the same as 5k in sound and feel. 100pf channel one.

Ahhhh...I get it, thanks man!

I was playing around last night with the amp, sounds awesome when it's set at 8 and the ppimv set at about 3/4 through my hot plate...nice and smooth, and still bright but a pleasant, usable brightness, not the previous ice pick to the eardrum tone lol!

Thanks for all your help Josh...

dreyn77

Reaction score
The GOOD ol BBQ hot plate hey?

sounds pretty terrible to me.

Ice pick to the eardrum sound?
have you tried the smaller amp?
You actually don't want BIG watts. oneday you'll realise it.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
The GOOD ol BBQ hot plate hey?

sounds pretty terrible to me.

Ice pick to the eardrum sound?
have you tried the smaller amp?
You actually don't want BIG watts. oneday you'll realise it.

Nah. I've had many low wattage amps, from marshall class 5 to my silver jubilee set at 25 watts. Been playing at 25 watts since 1989, except when I played outdoor shows when I used a carvin 1/2 stack at 100 watts or a mesa electra dyne set at 90 watts...NOTHIN sounds bigger than 100 watts yelling at you through a 4x12...just ask Joe bonamassa ;)

Sure, the hotplate takes a little tone away, but I'd rather have that then a case of tinnitus!

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell put a 100pf on the dull channel. Experiment see what u yourself likes. What else matters? 100pf 47pf 200 220 all good values to me. If u can't play with the amp cranked u can't get the full affect.

Yeah man, I like a combination of the best of lead / bass config ....Change that .0022 coupler to .022, shared cathode & gator clip a selection of brite caps in there til you find where you wanna be ..47pf / 100 / 200 / 470 and even .001uf if it 's necessary
I kinda go as the specific amp goes

I used to kinda go toward all these fatter bass tones. Then listenin back to some live gig audio ,I didn't think I was cuttin thru as I thought I should . I need to keep my teles /strats twangy, but the Les Pauls still fat . A 470pf seems to be the one in my 1959 (w/ no cap parallel over the mixer)

Last edited:

yladrd61

Reaction score
I have 100pf bright cap on the high treble channel, 820ohm/.68uf, .022uf coupling cap. And 500pf bright cap on the normal channel 820 ohm/ 250uf, No .68uf Cathode bypass cap. 47k on the 8 ohm tap with .68uf presence cap on my Ceriatone JMP 50. It Sings with a Strat and Barks like a rabid dog with a Gibson ;)

Jodyzuza

Reaction score

Well, just got the 100pf cap in from mojotone to put on the bright channel...all I can say is WOW! Sounds superb...definitely more musical sounding than the bright cap that was in there, plus it cleaned up the amp a little too so I can play cleaner when I want...
Still not getting that trademark marshall growl so I need to get the 6550's out if there and put in el34 and change the output tranny to a close replica...hopefully that will get me closer to the tone in my head :)

Thanks for your help JoshABR1!!

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
I have 100pf bright cap on the high treble channel, 820ohm/.68uf, .022uf coupling cap. And 500pf bright cap on the normal channel 820 ohm/ 250uf, No .68uf Cathode bypass cap. 47k on the 8 ohm tap with .68uf presence cap on my Ceriatone JMP 50. It Sings with a Strat and Barks like a rabid dog with a Gibson ;)

What are your volume settings on each channel, and are you jumping them? I've got the same cap setup on the volume pots but still messing with them to get them balanced! I'm sorta up in the air on jumping them

Latest posts