'74 PCB first edition ST1 advice

• Thread starter macca1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

macca1

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly replacing the original first edition ST1 pcb (single-sided with thin copper type) in a '74 super lead with a grainger ST1 board. https://grangeramp.com/product/jmp-2203-2204-st1-circuit-board-green-2/
Obviously I'd rather keep it original and I'm aware it's not going to be as valuable but I suspect the original pcb probably won't hold out many more replacement de-solder and re-solders, no matter how careful the works done. 1 trace is already bypassed. 1/2 the resistors are non original but I have NOS Piher replacements so I'm in a bit of a quandary!
What would you guys do? Would there be a noticeable difference in sound with a far superior pcb? It might make an interesting comparison before and after.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The PC board itself is not a tonal factor. Set that non-issue aside.

If you replace the original board, save it for reinstallation later should you decide to sell the amp.

You can run a bead of solder down each trace, making it thicker and a bit more robust. Then you can spray it with conformal coating spray, giving it some additional corrosion resistance.

My '73 Superlead has the same early ST1 board and I've had to do trace repair on it as well. But it's fine, I'm going to keep it in there,
and the amp is totally reliable. Not worried at all.

macca1

Reaction score
The PC board itself is not a tonal factor. Set that non-issue aside.

If you replace the original board, save it for reinstallation later should you decide to sell the amp.

You can run a bead of solder down each trace, making it thicker and a bit more robust. Then you can spray it with conformal coating spray, giving it some additional corrosion resistance.

My '73 Superlead has the same early ST1 board and I've had to do trace repair on it as well. But it's fine, I'm going to keep it in there,
and the amp is totally reliable. Not worried at all.
Thanks for the tips.
I definitely prefer the restoration option.

matttornado

Reaction score
Check out my post. You might find this interesting. I restored a 74 pcb that had a lot of mods / work done in the past and was starting to become damaged.

macca1

Reaction score
Check out my post. You might find this interesting. I restored a 74 pcb that had a lot of mods / work done in the past and was starting to become damaged.

Thanks man. Nice fix for the broken pads too. You must have been so pleased that fixed the boomy bass problem too!:agreed:

Latest posts