900 MK3 2500 update...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
So like I have owned this amp for nearly two months and I think I now really got it sounding great... very 800 like...but with more gain...

I replaced all the pots with new ones from Marshall...identical to stock...
Replaced the filter caps with ARS LCR clones...sound identical imo
Replaced bias caps, had network adjusted to get a nice warm bias with EL34s. Didn't have enough range stock.
Installed a 3-4H Heyboer 100mA choke... similar to what the 2204s use.

Well, was not all that pleased. Sounded good, but it sagged too much...just didn't feel right. Nice clean tones.

So I had the Heyboer 100mA choke swapped out for a 3H 250mA choke...

That was the difference. Man, what a change. Now it sound great! Very Marshall authentic...hard to distinguish from a 2204. Plenty of punch... especially with the MV at 4 and above.'

It likes OD pedals. I use my trusty FD2 with it like I do with the DSLs. That was the ticket. With the two gain controls, plus the pedal, man you can dial in a bunch of different gain textures...really versatile..

However, I noticed you have to keep the sensitivity control on the low side to avoid unwanted noise... but you don't need much for to really affect the tone. Adds a great deal of body... I keep it at around 2-3 max. Sounds killer with the pedal engaged. This amp is a keeper...and a steal compared to what current 2204s sell for.

I bet this head would sound awesome with the Hot Mod V2!!

Gutch220

Reaction score
Maybe somebody can explain why a 3-4H 100mA choke sounds so different than a 3H 250mA choke. The H is barely different while the current handling is significantly more

I would be interested in hearing this.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody can explain why a 3-4H 100mA choke sounds so different than a 3H 250mA choke. The H is barely different while the current handling is significantly more

I would be interested in hearing this.
Perhaps the higher current handling equates to lower DCR, and the dc resistance of the 100mA choke was causing the extra sag?

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this normally happen?
Almost all of the specs I’ve seen show an inverse relationship between current handling and DCR. I assume this is because chokes that handle more current use thicker wire.