A 2x12 cab with a 1x12 cab on top?

• Thread starter Dave J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave J

Reaction score
Throwing around some ideas for my Mini Jubilee head. Was initially going to find a 2x12 closed back, but after some researching I thought I might like a cab that has a removable panel so I can go partial open if the room or whatever might benefit. Then I went down the rabbit hole of should the removable panel be in the middle like most sell, or the top 1/3 like a Stage Back or the Mesa " half backs". Then I thought about getting a closed or convertible 2x12 horizontal and stacking my big Mesa 3/4 closed 1x12 on top. I have a pair of 8 ohm V30's, and a pair of 16 ohm Greenbacks so I could make sure I am correct ohms wise.
Can anyone offer any input on whether I will get some wierd phasing issues or anything else? It would kinda end up being a diagonal 2x12 with another speaker on the bottom. Also does the single speaker in the 1x12 suffer volume wise or is it louder. I think between the 2 pairs of Celestion's I have and their slightly different db levels I should be able to make something work here.
Thanks for any input !!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throwing around some ideas for my Mini Jubilee head. Was initially going to find a 2x12 closed back, but after some researching I thought I might like a cab that has a removable panel so I can go partial open if the room or whatever might benefit. Then I went down the rabbit hole of should the removable panel be in the middle like most sell, or the top 1/3 like a Stage Back or the Mesa " half backs". Then I thought about getting a closed or convertible 2x12 horizontal and stacking my big Mesa 3/4 closed 1x12 on top. I have a pair of 8 ohm V30's, and a pair of 16 ohm Greenbacks so I could make sure I am correct ohms wise.
Can anyone offer any input on whether I will get some wierd phasing issues or anything else? It would kinda end up being a diagonal 2x12 with another speaker on the bottom. Also does the single speaker in the 1x12 suffer volume wise or is it louder. I think between the 2 pairs of Celestion's I have and their slightly different db levels I should be able to make something work here.
Thanks for any input !!
The V30 will be slightly louder (100 dB sensitivity) compared to the M-25's (98 dB).
You have options with the 2 x 16 parallel to 8, or 2 x 8 series to16, to match the single of the other.
What combination works with the room, and how you play is a matter of personal preference.
No harm is experimenting with the combinations and see what you like.
I doubt you'll get any "weird phasing issues".

RLW59

Reaction score
My favorite setup so far has been three 112's. Two on the bottom, one centered on top, so the speakers were in a triangle configuration.

The bottom two were 8 ohm EVM12L's in Thiele cabs with the cabs connected in series, with a 16 ohm G12-65 in a Bogner cube connected in parallel.

8 ohm total load, with half the power going to the Celestion and the other half split between the EV's.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I have used my DSL40C on top of a 2x12, while using both the Combo Speaker and the Cab. I don't think there will be phasing issues, at least I couldn't hear something weird in my situation.
In my case The Cab was loaded with V30s (as fitz has already stated, 100 dB) and the Combo had a 70/80 with 98dB. Those 2 dB made a difference, I heard less of the Combo, but that did not harm the overall sound much (Less 70/80 is always better, and not using it at all is best :lol:).
So yeah, just try it and listen for yourself.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Won't the 1x12 get 1/2 the output and the 2x12 speakers get 1/4 each?
I don't know if this would make any difference to how the sound would be perceived.

As the most common (slightly safer) way to wire your available speakers would be 2x16 ohm in parallel (8 ohms) and 1x8 ohms, the 16 ohm Greenbacks would get 5W each and a V30 get 10W.

Having the higher sensitivity, the V30 getting 10W may exaggerate the effect of the output sharing.

:shrug:

Dave J

Reaction score
I am thinking about the 8 ohm V30's in the closed back cab, wired to series which will give me a 16 ohm cab. Then used either a Green back or a J75 Scumback 16 ohm - 65 watt rating ( for got to mention I have one) in the 1x12. The V30 is 100db and the Scumback I think is 98db? My understanding is that an open back has a bit more volume than a closed back since the speakers in the closed back get dampened by the sound pressure that can't get out. My thinking is the open-ish back is up higher and open so maybe it balances out better with the V30's. Each V30 would get 25% x 2 and the J75 would get 50%. I'd experiment of course but thinking maybe the J75 might do better in the 1x12.