a choice: Jubilee 2553 vs 2555x

which one would you pick

• Total voters

nubis99

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've seen mixed reactions to the jubilee on this forum, but I'm seriously considering getting one now I've sold my 1987x. So I've been looking at the 2555x reissue on Thomann. But lo and behold, after checking some classifieds turns out someone is selling an original 2553 half stack (head and 2x12) for roughly the same price as the reissue stack. so here's my dilemma, do I go with the 34 year old amp, or the new one? I mostly have some concerns in terms of maintenance and just general fit/finish quality. I'm also kind of interested in seeing how the 50w vs 100w thing works out. so yeah, any opinions, thoughts and/or warnings would be appreciated.

Kelia

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've seen mixed reactions to the jubilee on this forum, but I'm seriously considering getting one now I've sold my 1987x. So I've been looking at the 2555x reissue on Thomann. But lo and behold, after checking some classifieds turns out someone is selling an original 2553 half stack (head and 2x12) for roughly the same price as the reissue stack. so here's my dilemma, do I go with the 34 year old amp, or the new one? I mostly have some concerns in terms of maintenance and just general fit/finish quality. I'm also kind of interested in seeing how the 50w vs 100w thing works out. so yeah, any opinions, thoughts and/or warnings would be appreciated.
I would go with the new one, old ones had issues at the beginning iirc .

If you want a solid opinion on this, listen to Santiago at 1.06

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Just some of the pros and cons:

2555x- 100 watts. Many people feel that a 100 watt amp sounds better. Not only can it push more bottom end, the bottom end is usually more focused and more solid with 100 watts. The master on the Jubes is very good, so you can run it at any needed volume level despite the 100 watts.

As Jethro pointed out, the 2555x is new with new caps and it has outboard bias facilities. Moreover it can run a wider variety of power tubes. My 50 watt jubilee required a cap job 5 years ago. Also the original Jubilees can only take EL34s without mods. You will need to use a bias tool or install 1 watt resistors to the cathodes of the power tube sockets on an original to bias it your self.

2553- 50 watts or 25 watts, so you can get into the power amp more if you want. Original Drake iron. Flying leads construction. Lighter weight and more compact size. 2553 is more rare and has collectors value. The cab (if still stock) may have G12 Vintages, but more likely G12T75s. In my experience the G12V (or a made for Mesa V30) is what you want with any Jubilee. The reissue cab has the G12V, but they won't be broke in yet. Also the three decades old 1/4 stack will have a little, or a lot, of wear and tear.

El Gringo

Reaction score

2555x- 100 watts. Many people feel that a 100 watt amp sounds better. Not only can it push more bottom end, the bottom end is usually more focused and more solid with 100 watts. The master on the Jubes is very good, so you can run it at any needed volume level despite the 100 watts.

As Jethro pointed out, the 2555x is new with new caps and it has outboard bias facilities. Moreover it can run a wider variety of power tubes. My 50 watt jubilee required a cap job 5 years ago. Also the original Jubilees can only take EL34s without mods. You will need to use a bias tool or install 1 watt resistors to the cathodes of the power tube sockets on an original to bias it your self.

2553- 50 watts or 25 watts, so you can get into the power amp more if you want. Original Drake iron. Flying leads construction. Lighter weight and more compact size. 2553 is more rare and has collectors value. The cab (if still stock) may have G12 Vintages, but more likely G12T75s. In my experience the G12V (or a made for Mesa V30) is what you want with any Jubilee. The reissue cab has the G12V, but they won't be broke in yet. Also the three decades old 1/4 stack will have a little, or a lot, of wear and tear.
Take it a step further with maintenance costs and down time sucks . Very true about the Vintage 12's need time to be broken in , but with some honest volume pushing air you will get there soon enough . A super great amp that has blown my mind and ears away not to lest forget the tone that is music to my ears . Well Done Marshall :applause: I liked my 2555X half stack so much that in 2019 I got a second 2555X half stack with the matching 2551 AV cabs ! The fun part for me is that I run them together , as I had to try them out together when I unboxed the second half stack and I liked them so much together that I just couldn't bring myself to do as I orginally intended which was to use them as the air and the spare ( ha ha )

Last edited:

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Take it a step further with maintenance costs and down time sucks . Very true about the Vintage 12's need time to be broken in ,

The 2555x was my first new tube amp. I didn't realize that you have to break in those new speakers before they sound good. I almost returned the amp but the guys here told me how to break in those speakers. After a few weeks it started sounding awesome. Then I bought the B cab and had to go through the rough break in period all over again.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Yeah the small box is really cool amd as a collector's end of things, I personally would get the 2553. But I already have a 2558 amd 2525H so I don't really care about another new amp. I also prefer 2x12s for hauling purposes.
This isn't about my chpice though!!

nubis99

Reaction score
Hi all! Turns out the seller of the 2553 isn't selling after all! (we've all been there, let's be honest) so that makes the choice a lot easier! And judging by your comments the 2555x isn't a bad shout either way. Now to find a store that has one in stock sooner than October. seems either Brexit had some impact or they're just really, really popular amps at the moment.:shrug:

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Hi all! Turns out the seller of the 2553 isn't selling after all! (we've all been there, let's be honest) so that makes the choice a lot easier! And judging by your comments the 2555x isn't a bad shout either way. Now to find a store that has one in stock sooner than October. seems either Brexit had some impact or they're just really, really popular amps at the moment.:shrug:

I believe the 2555x was discontinued in the US. People trash talked them when they first came out but now people realize how good of a value they are. I was really surprised how well built they are for the price.

nubis99

Reaction score
I believe the 2555x was discontinued in the US. People trash talked them when they first came out but now people realize how good of a value they are. I was really surprised how well built they are for the price.

they're still available in Europe, but availability has been an issue. my guess is that's to do with the new import regulations that are in place now the UK isn't in the EU anymore.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Wasn't the 2555x fairly recently available at killer blowout sale types of prices?
Just Askin'
Gene

El Gringo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! It's nice to know I can add a second one to my backline if I ever start playing live again. I could destroy the entire mid-west with two stacks.
Exactly as that is what it's about . I destroy my own self as many times a week as I can . Nothing finer and then after playing the recreating begins :cheers: