A question about someone using a bass on my jubilee cabinet!

david woods

Reaction score
So I’m recording an EP for release and the sound engineer I work with plugged in a bass guitar and was just seeing what the tone was like in my jubilee cabinet, I was downstairs at the time.

He wasn’t driving it very loud maybe like 20%... I’m just super OCD and quiet honestly can’t afford to buy a new one. Would that inherently damage the speakers in the cabinet? I have played for a while now and it doesn’t seem to have damaged it but wanted to ask you experts!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Not an expert but:
Yah. There are speakers made for regular guitars and speakers made for bass guitars.
There are reasons for that.
My :2c:.... don't do it.
BP

anitoli

Reaction score
As long as it isn't being dimed it will take it no problem. I have used a 1960a with a super bass 100 for ever.

david woods

Reaction score
As long as it isn't being dimed it will take it no problem. I have used a 1960a with a super bass 100 for ever.
When you say dimes do you mean like pumping everything up? I did have the gain high enough but nothing else (I had it high for my lead work!)

RLW59

Reaction score
Low volume no problem. Medium volume usually no problem. High volume rarely a problem.

Bass is only one octave below guitar (normal 4 string basses with both guitar and bass at standard tuning). Guitarists playing deep drop tunings (or 7 and 8 string guitars) extend into areas that are commonly played on basses.

Most organs and pianos go another octave below standard bass guitar (some go two octaves down). That's the sort of deep bass that's hard on speakers.

Slapping and popping on a bass is super percussive. At high volume that could damage guitar speakers. But no problem at low volume.

A lot of guitarists use octave-down doubling pedals. A lot of guitarists tune down to C. A lot of guitarists break in new speakers by playing full range recorded music through them. Guitarists use those "band in a box" pedals that add drums and bass lines through their amps; guitarists run full backing tracks through their amps.

If the guy had been playing an organ through your cab and shaking the walls with thunderous rumbling deep bass notes, that would have been rude of him.

But a bass with the amp's master a quarter of the way up was zero risk.

axe arsenal

Reaction score
I had about 9 cabs with the same Celestion G12T-75 speakers in them and one is my favorite. Coincidentally it's the only cab where I played bass through for a couple of months..
I wouldn't worry.
In my 40 years of playing I've only blown one speaker, a 25 Watt blackback.
I assume there are G12T-75's in your Jubilee cab?

david woods

Reaction score
Low volume no problem. Medium volume usually no problem. High volume rarely a problem.

Bass is only one octave below guitar (normal 4 string basses with both guitar and bass at standard tuning). Guitarists playing deep drop tunings (or 7 and 8 string guitars) extend into areas that are commonly played on basses.

Most organs and pianos go another octave below standard bass guitar (some go two octaves down). That's the sort of deep bass that's hard on speakers.

Slapping and popping on a bass is super percussive. At high volume that could damage guitar speakers. But no problem at low volume.

A lot of guitarists use octave-down doubling pedals. A lot of guitarists tune down to C. A lot of guitarists break in new speakers by playing full range recorded music through them. Guitarists use those "band in a box" pedals that add drums and bass lines through their amps; guitarists run full backing tracks through their amps.

If the guy had been playing an organ through your cab and shaking the walls with thunderous rumbling deep bass notes, that would have been rude of him.

But a bass with the amp's master a quarter of the way up was zero risk.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me with such an in-depth analysis! Honestly you’ve made me feel a lot better. Maybe I should start worrying about my poxy OCD.... :)

david woods

Reaction score
I had about 9 cabs with the same Celestion G12T-75 speakers in them and one is my favorite. Coincidentally it's the only cab where I played bass through for a couple of months..
I wouldn't worry.
In my 40 years of playing I've only blown one speaker, a 25 Watt blackback.
I assume there are G12T-75's in your Jubilee cab?
That’s a good question I don’t know- the standard speakers that come with it that’s for sure!!