A tale of two amps and wrong speaker connection

• Thread starter JonSick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JonSick

Reaction score
So long story short, I think I've made a costly mistake.

So I was messing with amps, pedalboards and all that good stuff. I was testing some sounds on my JVM410H and Peavey 6505. I sat both on top of a Marshall cab to do my fiddling.

Did my thing with the Peavey and went round the back to mess with the JVM to connect it up. So swap cables between the heads for the power, loops, etc.

In a nutshell, I brain farted and connected the JVM's 16 ohm out to the Peaveys 16 on output. So yes, both outputs connected together instead of plugging the Marshall into the cab. The Peavey was of course off, but fired up the JVM, spent a minute wondering why there was no sound and looking around the back fiddling with effect loop connections realised what I had done.

The aftermath is that the Peavey makes plenty sound on the clean channel, drive is extremely low volume and although it increases with the volume knob, the max sounds extremely low and fizzy.

The Marshall seems to operate OK but I would swear it now sounds a bit off. I can't decide if I'm imagining it or not.

While I'm familiar enough to do basic repairs, out of hand, how badly did I mess up? Whats in that pathway that I could have properly destroyed?

Yes, I'm a dumbass. Silly mistake.

neikeel

Reaction score
With the peavey you just reversed the polarity on the OT!
Damage to output tubes and OT on both would be a concern but if you have normal clean tones then killed OT unlikely. Only things I see at risk are the anti fly back 1N4007s on the plates of output tubes.
A dead/dying OT typically gives no sound or distorted low volume due to internal short.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@JonSick
The first sentence of your original post may well be a gross understatement, while the last sentence is unfortunately spot on! :sad: :sadwave: While I AM truly sad to hear of your plight, all may not be lost! :hmm: If you closely follow the advice/instruction/guidance/tutelage of some of the brilliant techs around here, they may well be able to help you sort out the problems, without it costing you a fortune! :agreed:

Being a "dumbass" can be no fun, except maybe for some of those sick folks watching! :facepalm: Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt! :rolleyes:
Good Luck To Ya,
Gene

Latest posts