A type of el34 that sounds more like a 6l6gc/kt66

• Thread starter Whatwhatringrang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
I have some ideas on this but curious of what other have found . I would like to find a quad of of a el34s or similar tube that sound more like a kt66/6l6gc for an early 67 45/100 with el34s from factory. Just wanted to see what is closer than a straight traditional el34. Or if there something that would be closer in sound to kt66/6l6gc to try out. Also that can handle plate voltage at idle from 490- 500v . Thanks

Last edited:

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Hi Fitz,

I have thought about the 6CA7s but not quite looked into it that much yet. That was kinda what I was thinking . Thanks for the info on that and I will look in to them .

playloud

Reaction score
Have you tried 6CA7's?

I came here to say the same. Not sure about the various modern versions, but the original American-made 6CA7s have a noted resemblance to 6L6GCs.

You might also try KT77s (although originals are rarer/more expensive than just about anything in this format!), which are supposed to be similar to KT66s.

Honestly, when it comes to tonal properties of used/NOS tubes, it's hard to get an adequate sample size to form solid impressions. I've got a few sets of RFTs here, and none have really impressed me yet - but I'm open to the possibility of these ones just being duds, and everyone else being right :D

Dblgun

Reaction score
6CA7 and EL34 are often the same tube similar to 6BQ5 and EL84. I'm assuming you are looking for a suggestion of a specific version of the 6CA7 that have characters of a 6L6GC/KT66.

Not to sound foolish but have you considered a 6L6GC or KT66?

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Just to note that the main design difference between beam pentodes and suppressor grid pentodes is the former have beam forming plates, the latter have a suppressor grid.
Performance wise, normally beam pentodes have a much lower screen grid current draw than suppressor grid pentodes of a similar beefiness, by 4 to 5 times.
However, my (well used) pair of GE 6CA7 have a closely similar screen grid current draw to EL34, somewhere around 4 to 5 times higher than that of 6L6GC in the same conditions.

Latest posts