Advice on new Creamback

• Thread starter Capt. Crunch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I got a deal & bought a brand new Celestion G10 Creamback 10-inch 45-watt Speaker - 8 ohm for my DSL 5CR.
Any advice on breaking in the speaker?
Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
😁 Just crank it eh. Thank you.
Seriously though, any way you can work the speaker will help.
There are apps that will send a spectrum of frequencies, or even just play some of your favorite audio through it.
Volume does speed up the process.
If you are volume limited, pillows and blankets can keep the neighbors or family from complaining.

NickKUK

Reaction score
I think my first Lead12 practice amp.. I just got it and simply played it..

My Creamback G12M-65 16R I simply hooked it up to my signal generator and played some noise through it, played sweeping (20Hz to 20KHz) sounds through it a day. That's starting with low volume and worked up. Finally hooked up the amp and simply started with chords - it sounded nasal initially showing it still needed breaking in. Then kept at it with lots of playing and percussive stuff initially.

I find that the speaker will have an initial break in.. then reaches a slow plateau where it loosens up.. taking a while. So even 24 hours "break in" doesn't fully break it in.

If you don't want to break in.. just start quiet.. give the speaker chance, then ramp up the volume. This just allows the break in to happen evenly across the fibres rather than stressing the first fibres to give.

The chords are quite important - they produce patterns across the speaker cone itself.

BakedBeans

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I got a deal & bought a brand new Celestion G10 Creamback 10-inch 45-watt Speaker - 8 ohm for my DSL 5CR.
Any advice on breaking in the speaker?
Thanks
I would love to see any actual science on this process. Anyone know of real, rather than anecdotal, data on the effects of "breaking in" a speaker? Our perception of sound varies greatly from day to day and even from hour to hour (especially in loud environments like R&R). Hard to trust what you're hearing now after hours/days/weeks compared to what you heard when you first put the speaker in the cabinet.

NickKUK

Reaction score
Be careful with frequency generators: they over-stress the speaker because they do not allow the coil to cool down. A normal input is a mix of "signal and silence", frequency generators are "only signal".

The Siglent SDG1032 doesnt have much output power. 20Vpp max is only going to be less than 0.5Wrms as a sine wave into a 65W speaker.
If you’re running an amp and signal gen at full volume then I’d agree.

To be honest it’s enough to shove the amp in a room, loop chord changes/etc low and higher volume over the course of a couple of days.

december

Reaction score
I'm in an apartment so I can't be too loud (quite a bit louder than most apartments would tolerate, though), so when I get a new speaker, I crank the bass on the amp and on my guitar with an EMG EXG expander pot and play like that for an hour. Sounds like trash but the excessive bass gets the speaker to loosen up a lot faster.
I had a new DV-77 that had this nasty low frequency resonance when I first put it in. Employing my excessive bass method got rid of it within 15 minutes.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
Seriously though, any way you can work the speaker will help.
There are apps that will send a spectrum of frequencies, or even just play some of your favorite audio through it.
Volume does speed up the process.
If you are volume limited, pillows and blankets can keep the neighbors or family from complaining.
Great tips, thanks!
Just curious if cranked but with the attenuater on would it still be the same frequencies working the speaker as full on?

NickKUK

Reaction score
The higher volume creates more force in the speaker coil applied to the speaker cone and the supporting spider etc.

Reaction score
I played the Redbacks in the Friedman 112s (my avatar) for 2 hours straight when new, and I could hear a definite change after the first 45 minutes.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
I think my first Lead12 practice amp.. I just got it and simply played it..

My Creamback G12M-65 16R I simply hooked it up to my signal generator and played some noise through it, played sweeping (20Hz to 20KHz) sounds through it a day. That's starting with low volume and worked up. Finally hooked up the amp and simply started with chords - it sounded nasal initially showing it still needed breaking in. Then kept at it with lots of playing and percussive stuff initially.

I find that the speaker will have an initial break in.. then reaches a slow plateau where it loosens up.. taking a while. So even 24 hours "break in" doesn't fully break it in.

If you don't want to break in.. just start quiet.. give the speaker chance, then ramp up the volume. This just allows the break in to happen evenly across the fibres rather than stressing the first fibres to give.

The chords are quite important - they produce patterns across the speaker cone itself.
I'm a bedroom player & I always start clean for an hour or so.
It loosens the fingers & let's the neighbors know that the FUZZ is coming. Giving them time to close a window.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
Be careful with frequency generators: they over-stress the speaker because they do not allow the coil to cool down. A normal input is a mix of "signal and silence", frequency generators are "only signal".
Thanks. I don't own one however. I'll be breaking it in with my guitar.
I was hoping someone had a true course of how to properly break in the speaker.
Say like, play clean for the 1st so many hrs & push dirt at some level before going jet engine.

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
I would love to see any actual science on this process. Anyone know of real, rather than anecdotal, data on the effects of "breaking in" a speaker? Our perception of sound varies greatly from day to day and even from hour to hour (especially in loud environments like R&R). Hard to trust what you're hearing now after hours/days/weeks compared to what you heard when you first put the speaker in the cabinet.
Nailed what I'm asking for.