AFD100 vs SIR 34 36 Gain Stage Topology

• Thread starter RickyLee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this AFD100 topic has been hammered quite a bit on this forum as well as others. But I just discovered something interesting when I found the preamp schematic for the AFD100. It basically is just a 2203 topology of three 12AX7's. The SIR 34 36 circuits add in an extra gain stage, so they are using 3 1/2 12AX7's.

Where I am going with this is trying to see if anyone here has done a direct comparison between the two? This project amp I am working on is using 3 1/2 12AX7's. I am trying to work in a second clean channel and freeing up that extra gain stage would sure be a good thing. Not to mention I would like to have a 12AX7 driven FX loop later on as well.

From what I have read on the web, there is a BIG tonal difference between the AFD100 and the SIR modded amps people have been working on. Right now, my amp has an extreme amount of gain on tap which comes with a price: Quite a bit of hiss (not too much that it is annoying or a problem though), but the bigger problem is not being able to get a somewhat cleanish tone by rolling back my guitar volume. So that is my reason for trying to work in a clean channel, which I started on using the 6100 CH 1 specs.

The other thing that I am not sure if I like that much is the very heavy cocked wah tone voicing on this preamp. But it seems from reading on the web, that my amp must be quite close to the real SIR 34 36 circuits as they had that character. I still need to experiment with grid resistors as well a couple grid load resistors in varied locations. But now I am wondering if I should just try removing that extra triode/gain stage? Really hate to undo too much of the work I have done though LOL.

Any thoughts?

bulldozer1984, you out there? rockgod212? wakjob?

I should add that I am not after the Slash tone. Just something different than what I already have. My main attention I am actually focusing on soon is the Facelift tone. That is one of my faves and have another project I will be getting back on for that later on.