• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Alnico blue for vox ac30s1

• Thread starter daboatguy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daboatguy

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Vox AC30s1.

I keep hearing about the celestion blue alinco speaker but I'm having a hard time pinning it down to what speaker because there's opposing information I keep finding.

I thought I needed a 30 watt 16 ohm 12-in speaker for this amplifier.

I've seen post saying that you can use a celestion 15w 16 ohm blue.

Help please

RLW59

Reaction score
Definitely can't use a single Blue with a cranked AC30 (at least not for very long -- speaker might not blow immediately but eventually it'd fail).

Vox has made a lot of varieties of AC30's, but most people are only aware of it in 212 combo form. I can only assume that what you've read about Blues with AC30's is actually referring to using two of them. That's a classic, popular setup.

In recent years Celestion has developed a number of alnico speakers similar to the Blue but with higher power handling.

neikeel

Reaction score
The Celestion Gold Alnico is a 50w version of the Blue and sounds very similar. A smidge darker but you can EQ the difference very easily.
WGS do a Blackhawk 50w that sounds really good too (I’ve put one in my AC15TB special 1x12).