Alnico Blue Vs Gold (or Cream)

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
I'm looking at ordering a 2x12 for my JTM45.

I feel the Gold is a safer bet due to the 2x50 watt speakers but part of me is worried I'll regret not getting the 2x15 watt Blues instead.

Any thoughts from those with more experience with this setup with Blue/Gold/Cream Celestions?

Metroman

Reaction score
Ive used the Blues, Golds, and still have the Creams.

IMHO the Creams are everything the B/G wish they were, and more. Theyre the best of both speakers only smoother. Cream they call them for a reason. Creamy smooth. George at Metropoulos also agrees the Creams are the best speakers Celestion has made in a long time, for Marshall type circuits.

With 180 watts worth of speakers with the amp, you wont have to worry about any funny business going on with the speakers. These speakers sound great either clean, or cranked.

If your stuck on the BLUE TYPE SPEAKERS....

Forger the Celestions, and look into the SCUMBACK S75 PVCs. The 25 Watt are the closest as whats around today vs the Originals from the 60s. They even have Kraft Recreation Paper Voice Coils. But even 2 of them for 50 watts worth of speakers, is not enough for me, for continuous crank of at least 3-4 hours, with Drive pedals, Fuzz, nd just generally trying to punish my speakers. I do this test for at least 2-3 weeks of abuse, I generally never buy speakers that are less than 2x my amps RMS.

I blew 2 Blues with a Metro GMP45 Head and 2 x 1 x 12 cabinets with 1/3 Semi Open Backs, in less that a week. I did try to blow them too because I heard everyone say they could take the full brunt of the JTM45/Vox AC30. So I put them to My Test, and they didn't last 4 days. Tried the Golds but liked the highs of the Blues ( While they lasted ) better. Golds have more solid lows.

Creams are very smooth, and take OD, and do cleans very well, and IMHO is a very nice all around speaker, and 90 watts to boot.

Excuse the clutter. Ive got stuff everywhere in this room, and others. Good to have an understanding wife.

The cabinets I'm using were original made for 2 Hemp Coned JBL E120s. They are 3/4 Ply x Ported. The cabs were made from the JBL Enclosure guide, specific to the E120, plus I also had them made so I can shut the ports off, or, remove 1 or 2 of the 3 back panels and run 1/3 x 2/3 Semi Open. Or combine them.

So I took out the JBLs, and took 1 panel off so they work fine with the Creams now, as they aren't tuned/ported for the E120s anymore. This would be hard on the speaker, causing Cone Excursion. ( Excessive Movement )

I really like the 1 x 12s, and am going to get 2 more, daisy chain them and use Neutrik Locking Connectors.

I really believe that 1 x 1 x 12s, sound better than 2 x 12. Especially if you really give the speaker a good amount of space.

The E120 enclosure measures 17.4 T x 14.2 W x 12.3 D... Which is a 34.8 x 28.4 x 12.3 4 x 12. Which volumetrically is bigger vs a Marshall 1960B cabinet as these are Internal Dimensions for the E120s.

I also sometimes use 1 x E120 x 1 Cream. They work great together, and the Cream, smooths out the E120.

Lurking in the old Sound City 4 x 12 are 4 x 1971 Pulsonic Cone G12H/25w/75Hz.

Last edited:

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
Thanks Metroman. I've got a 1x12 that's got a Seventy80 in it (yes, I do like it in spite of everyone shitting on it). I may just try the 90 Watt Alnico Cream in it and if that satiates my sound I'm wanting from my JTM, then all is good.

Thanks again for your input. I'm looking at getting the Vox AC30CH with the accompanying Greenback cab as well. Can't wait! :)

dreyn77

Reaction score
Alnicos are superseeded for a reason. Gold backs are another limited appeal product for another good reason.
The cream backs are the future as far as those old things go.

You can't fight the fame which these things created over the years. Try as you might, but you will fail.

Only experience in those actual generations of products can inform you about which way to go.

If you have Alnico pickups, then GO the Alnico speakers. ;)

Billy7

Reaction score
I'm looking at ordering a 2x12 for my JTM45.

Hi Jamil,

I have owned the blue, gold and cream for my JTM45 and I prefer the Golds, but only slightly more than the cream.
I have a two x 12 gold and a 1x12 gold I use and to my ear, the Gold is slightly better at articulating the JTM45 than the cream.
Overall, though, they are so close to my ear that either will likely complement your JTM.

You might consider purchasing your speaker from Amazon or another place that allow returns so you have time to decide and then change your mind if need be.

Metroman

Reaction score
IMHO the JTM45 begs for an Alnico speaker, although I do like original G12H/M/25/30 watt ( I like them all ) and 4 x 12.

vs the BLUE I would go with the 25 Watt Scumback S75 PVC Alnico. Probably the closest recreation of the original speakers that were in the JTM45s.

Everyone's also seen these right ??

Although not necessarily saying for the JTM45... or I'm sure it would be a great speaker, I thought I would give a heads up, but this speaker has already been put on the alert list here on the forum.

1. Classic - G12H-150 Redback - Celestion - Guitar, Bass ...
    celestion.com/product/194/G12H_150_Redback

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Alnicos are superseeded for a reason. Gold backs are another limited appeal product for another good reason.
The cream backs are the future as far as those old things go.

You can't fight the fame which these things created over the years. Try as you might, but you will fail.

Only experience in those actual generations of products can inform you about which way to go.

If you have Alnico pickups, then GO the Alnico speakers. ;)

Hey... Alnico picks ups go with Alnico speakers !! Who'da thunk it !? I certainly never put 2 and 2 together!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Oh I see said the blind man..it;s a caped and masked seed !!!!!
You'll get a like for that Mickey!!

dreyn77

Reaction score
Well, celestion wouldn't have built the next model speaker if your statement was correct.
They saw a need to build the next model, which always renders the old model useless. But they want to have more things for sale, so they keep making the old model.
It's upto the consumers to be consumers. Don't pretend to be builders while you're only a consumer.
It's all about the latest and greatest! ;)

dreyn77

Reaction score
Ceramic magnets last so much longer than the Alnico models. It's therefore gonna exist as a speaker for way longer time, and is better.
The rest of the arguments are just that! Arguing.
So, accept the benefits and move on to the next problem!