Am I the *ss? Either way...Yes I am.

• Thread starter gtpvfr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gtpvfr

Reaction score
The story is based on true events but the names have been omitted.

I came across this New Old Stock "mint" guitar on one of the online marketplaces. I'm picky as hell so I reached out to the seller for an in hand confirmation of the description. He noted a few barely noticable pick scratches and changed the description to excellent. I mulled over the purchase because it was a lot of money to me for a used guitar but I decided to get it.

I received it quickly and all of the packaging was thankfully fine. Upon initial inspection of the guitar, I noticed that there was a chip at the top of the headstock and a small ding by the input jack .They both bothered me a little but figured I'd get over them after I played it. When I took it out of the case, I immediately noticed the chunks of paint out of the bottom of the guitar. Helen Keller would have noticed them even sooner.

I took pictures and reached out to the seller and he had me inspect the inside of the case for any evidence of hidden shipping damage. There wasn't any and I passed on a price adjustment for me to keep it. I shipped it back and was refunded all of my money with the exception of the $90 it took to get it back to the seller. I received my refund within a week and the seller relisted it with pictures of their own of the damage and adjusted the condition and pricing accordingly.

A few days ago, I noticed that the listing was changed back to the misleading wording of the original and the pictures of the damage had been removed.

I feel conflicted because of my money being quickly refunded (all but the $90 to get it back) but think it's B.S. to put someone else in the same predicament.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I came across this New Old Stock "mint" guitar on one of the online marketplaces. I'm picky as hell so I reached out to the seller for an in hand confirmation of the description. He noted a few barely noticable pick scratches and changed the description to excellent. I mulled over the purchase because it was a lot of money to me for a used guitar but I decided to get it.

I received it quickly and all of the packaging was thankfully fine. Upon initial inspection of the guitar, I noticed that there was a chip at the top of the headstock and a small ding by the input jack .They both bothered me a little but figured I'd get over them after I played it. When I took it out of the case, I immediately noticed the chunks of paint out of the bottom of the guitar. Helen Keller would have noticed them even sooner.

I took pictures and reached out to the seller and he had me inspect the inside of the case for any evidence of hidden shipping damage. There wasn't any and I passed on a price adjustment for me to keep it. I shipped it back and was refunded all of my money with the exception of the $90 it took to get it back to the seller. I received my refund within a week and the seller relisted it with pictures of their own of the damage and adjusted the condition and pricing accordingly.

A few days ago, I noticed that the listing was changed back to the misleading wording of the original and the pictures of the damage had been removed.

I feel conflicted because of my money being quickly refunded (all but the $90 to get it back) but think it's B.S. to put someone else in the same predicament.
If the return was because the item was "not as described", you shouldn't have been bent over with the return shipping.
At least that's the policy for Reverb - not sure what your "one of the online marketplaces" actually was.

Paying return shipping might have given the seller reason to not be such a deceptive d**k again.

El Gringo

Reaction score
As always buyer beware and of course this sucks except for the saving grace of getting your bucks refunded minus the $90 bucks .

V-man

Reaction score
Some jackass on reverb has removed the plastics on his ‘75 V and is selling the pair for $1K in “VGC.”

It is plain as day (to the experienced) that the input jack hole has had half its circumference cracked out. Over time that ‘70s plastic gets brittle and one day, your input can punch through the plastic- the reason why Kirk Hammett put a poker chip over his to reinforce.

I mention that while original plastics are rare and thus have some value, he is listing an item with a clear structural problem in VGC, which is a direct misrepresentation of condition per Reverb’s (Mint/EXC/VGC/GC/FC) guidelines.

Predictably, zero response, no change in price or condition with the words added that he “personally recommends reinforcing with a metal washer.” 🙄 Pure asshattery. Just admit the fucking thing is cracked out and requires reinforcement.

gtpvfr

Reaction score

As of this evening, the listing was removed. (For the time being at least.) I had a screenshots of the listing with the damage noted and pictures that the seller temporarily had included that I forwarded to the platform’s customer service. The seller had lots of high end guitars for sale and a stellar feedback rating as well. It just doesn’t make sense to me but hopefully I saved someone > $90 and a hassle.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Some jackass on reverb has removed the plastics on his ‘75 V and is selling the pair for $1K in “VGC.”

It is plain as day (to the experienced) that the input jack hole has had half its circumference cracked out. Over time that ‘70s plastic gets brittle and one day, your input can punch through the plastic- the reason why Kirk Hammett put a poker chip over his to reinforce.

I mention that while original plastics are rare and thus have some value, he is listing an item with a clear structural problem in VGC, which is a direct misrepresentation of condition per Reverb’s (Mint/EXC/VGC/GC/FC) guidelines.

Predictably, zero response, no change in price or condition with the words added that he “personally recommends reinforcing with a metal washer.” 🙄 Pure asshattery. Just admit the fucking thing is cracked out and requires reinforcement.

I find it hilarious that the guy wants $1k for that. I bought the repop WD guard for the '82 for less than $50. For anyone wanting to know, a lot of material has to taken out in the location to where it butts up against the neck. After that, it is otherwise a very nice fit.

V-man

Reaction score
I find it hilarious that the guy wants $1k for that. I bought the repop WD guard for the '82 for less than $50. For anyone wanting to know, a lot of material has to taken out in the location to where it butts up against the neck. After that, it is otherwise a very nice fit.

Law of diminishing returns.

My last ‘75 came with an aftermarket black PG (but fortunately had the original “clashing” yellowed TRC).

One asshole wanted like $400-$500 for his piece of shit that looked like he used for teaching his chihuahua to snowboard across the sidewalk. The other was an ‘82 that had screw-holes and was routed for a floyd for like $200. I reached out to that guy and his reasoning was he saw the $400 asshole and thought these were worth that much.

After a “come to Jesus” chat, he took my this is what it costs to get a direct replacement without needing to fill routes/screw holes offer. People who want to play the asshole card will have to wait 2-5 years before someone gets a matching vintage guitar in need. And even then think of this… what are the odds someone has a 100% original undamaged guitar- minus the original pickguard, and in what world would that original PG addition/deletion be a difference of $1k in a sale?

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Law of diminishing returns.

My last ‘75 came with an aftermarket black PG (but fortunately had the original “clashing” yellowed TRC).

One asshole wanted like $400-$500 for his piece of shit that looked like he used for teaching his chihuahua to snowboard across the sidewalk. The other was an ‘82 that had screw-holes and was routed for a floyd for like $200. I reached out to that guy and his reasoning was he saw the $400 asshole and thought these were worth that much.

After a “come to Jesus” chat, he took my this is what it costs to get a direct replacement without needing to fill routes/screw holes offer. People who want to play the asshole card will have to wait 2-5 years before someone gets a matching vintage guitar in need. And even then think of this… what are the odds someone has a 100% original undamaged guitar- minus the original pickguard, and in what world would that original PG addition/deletion be a difference of $1k in a sale?

100%!
Then there is of course what some dude wanted for a truss rod cover. $300?? What??!!