Amp/Cab & Accoustic Treatment Placement

• Thread starter jmh276
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmh276

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my rig setup in my home office which is pretty small (2.7x25m). My rig consists of an Sc20H and a Fender Bassbreaker, with the SC20 going into an Orange 2x12 (horizontal but I use it vertically to save space) with the bassbreaker going into an Orange 1x12 stacked on top of the 2x12. due to the lack of space I have the cabs placed in a corner at a diagonal. I used to have the 2x12 placed horizontally on a tilted stand, but that took up too much space and i was basically stood right next to the speakers.
I know that putting speakers in a corner is a bit of a no-no, and have noticed that since doing so, the bass is more noticeable and the tone more fuzzy. To counter the bass, I have used a Auralex Gramma undeneath the cabs which has helped, and I am now wondering about getting some wall panels, and was wondering if it would help to place the panels behind the speakers to counteract the fuzz which feels like its a result of the sounds reflecting off the 2 walls.
I've tried to read up on room accoustics and tbh dont really understand it, so any input would be greatfully received!
Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eric'45

Reaction score
You have left out an important bit of information: Is your Orange 2x12 open back or closed (Is it a PPC212 or a PPC212COB).
It might be obvious, but the "don't place your speakers in a corner" rule mostly applies to open back cabs. With these, the room acoustics are more sophisticated and complex.

jmh276

Reaction score
You have left out an important bit of information: Is your Orange 2x12 open back or closed (Is it a PPC212 or a PPC212COB).
It might be obvious, but the "don't place your speakers in a corner" rule mostly applies to open back cabs. With these, the room acoustics are more sophisticated and complex.
Sorry, it’s a closed back and I also just noticed the room measurement is incorrect it’s 2.5m not 25m!

Nadir

Reaction score
The rule "don't place your speakers in a corner" is valid regardless of the type of cabinet.
it is true that open-backs are more sensitive but it is false that closed-backs are not.
🙂

Eric'45

Reaction score
The rule "don't place your speakers in a corner" is valid regardless of the type of cabinet.
it is true that open-backs are more sensitive but it is false that closed-backs are not.
🙂
That's why i said: it mostly applies to open- back Cabs. Of course you are right- the wall behind the cab is, in any case, a part of the room acoustics.

Sorry, it’s a closed back and I also just noticed the room measurement is incorrect it’s 2.5m not 25m!
So your room is quite small and also almost square- shaped. In my experince, it's beneficial to have the speakers placed so that they face the wall that is the farthest away from them- so that is not really an option for you. You might want to avoid the soundwaves hitting any wall at 90 or 45 degree angles. Slightly angling the cab might not look tidy, but it is a way to avoid that. Another simple fix that can be sepecially helpful for hobby musicians, is taking advantage of other furniture. Heavy objects with irregular surfaces work well for absorbing soundwaves. I once had a cabinet with a heavy curtain instead of doors that I placed opposite the speakers. It was doubling as storage room and the curtain was absorbing certain frequencies very well. In any case, a room with nothing but uncovered blank walls will always have very odd acoustic properties. Especially when on a budget, using furniture works reasonably well.

Latest posts