Angus Young settings

• Thread starter dslman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dslman

Reaction score
Presence -0 Treble,Mid,Bass --12 oclock
He said after all the years of fooling around with Marshall's, this gets the best out of them. He said sometimes he may push up the presence a bit if it is not bright enough . I read this in a interview article.Gave it a try since I use a 2203 , and I notice a clarity and punch that wasn't there before.
More of a raw sound that unveils mistakes and makes you play better.
I like it and could never use that much mid's before. Seems to let the amp breath and still be woody . Thanks Angus !! Get well soon Malcolm, I'm praying for you.

Redstone

Reaction score
Thats fairly close to what I use on my YJM. Presence: 0, Bass: 6-7, Middle: 5, Treble: 6. Thats what I'm using currently. I move stuff around, but it usually doesn't drift too far away from those settings.

I find that they are a little too bright on my 2204 (probably because I'm not pushing the master much). I'm used to using both channels on my YJM, so I'm used to a lot of bottom end.

dash8311

Reaction score
Guitar volume down (7-8) and tone 5 goes a long way as well.

My YJM input volume is just below 3 (2.5ish?) with the TSR on.

Redstone

Reaction score
Guitar volume down (7-8) and tone 5 goes a long way as well.

My YJM input volume is just below 3 (2.5ish?) with the TSR on.

Is that with your Aracom or with the EPA? I find 2-3 to be very thin on my YJM with the EPA set at 9 o clock. I don't know what it is like with the TSR since mine hasn't arrived yet (tomorrow or monday probably).

Jack92CH

Reaction score
I think the presence knob on my 800 is useless. It's ALWAYS at zero. Bass, mids, and treble are always somewhere around 12 o'clock, depending on where I set the master volume. Preamp volume is always dimed.

The tone knob on the guitar is useful beyond belief once you get used to how it behaves. Most of the time if I want to alter my tone a little bit, I simply adjust my pickup tone/volume settings. I consider the amp and speakers to be the benchmark for your sound. Your guitar and how you use it determine the rest.

dreyn77

Reaction score
jezzz, really?
all they do is make loudness. but I suppose he's kinda locked in to those settings if he wants a distortion.
but it doesn't supprise me they are all at the same place on the dial.

dash8311

Reaction score
Is that with your Aracom or with the EPA? I find 2-3 to be very thin on my YJM with the EPA set at 9 o clock. I don't know what it is like with the TSR since mine hasn't arrived yet (tomorrow or monday probably).

Yes with EPA or the Aracom. You'll see with the TSR.

When it arrives, try 12 o clock on both compression & input to start.

Then full! Then compression 3 o clock, boost 9 o clock.

It's fun.

tazzboy

Reaction score
You have to remember to that Angus was using a Schaffer Vega Diversity System Wireless unit for extra boost and compression.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Presence -0 Treble,Mid,Bass --12 oclock
He said after all the years of fooling around with Marshall's, this gets the best out of them. He said sometimes he may push up the presence a bit if it is not bright enough . I read this in a interview article.Gave it a try since I use a 2203 , and I notice a clarity and punch that wasn't there before.
More of a raw sound that unveils mistakes and makes you play better.
I like it and could never use that much mid's before. Seems to let the amp breath and still be woody . Thanks Angus !! Get well soon Malcolm, I'm praying for you.

Interesting. That is pretty much what I came up with on my DSL. It is nice to know that I found the same tone palette as Angus, just wish I found his chops.

dash8311

Reaction score
Usually SoloDallas' standard 1959 settings are: 0-2-4-6 vol 2.5 to 3, guitar 8 tone 5, TSR (Schaffer Replica of SVDS as mentioned above) settings can vary.

I'll see him tonight and ask.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I think the presence knob on my 800 is useless. It's ALWAYS at zero. Bass, mids, and treble are always somewhere around 12 o'clock, depending on where I set the master volume. Preamp volume is always dimed.

Jack,

Try running your treble really low - say one or two. Then bump the bass and mids up above half and then bring the presence up to brighten in. You may not like it but mine sounds absolutely massive that way and still has a lot of cut.

dreyn77

Reaction score
the amp has plenty of power with the volume dial, so you don't need to turn the EQ dials to large powerful settings.

With the EQ's set lowish the pres dial has lots of adjustment power.

It's like driving around the race track with your car stuck in 1st gear and complaining the excellerator doesn't do much.

dslman

Reaction score
the amp has plenty of power with the volume dial, so you don't need to turn the EQ dials to large powerful settings.

With the EQ's set lowish the pres dial has lots of adjustment power.

It's like driving around the race track with your car stuck in 1st gear and complaining the excellerator doesn't do much.
I have found this to be true as well and was running it this way before. Tried the Angus settings at practice and while I liked it with the presence on zero , I have since bumped it up to around 2-3. Burns a little more.

dreyn77

Reaction score
^ agreed!
Isn't it a good dial! so easy to use!

I like it! it gets me a good sound quickly.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 3-4 different settings for AC/DC which are not too wildy varying but it just depends on my ears, rest/fatigue,and maybe even the humidity that day as to which sounds closest.:scratch:

interestingly enough those same setting also work for early L.A.Guns stuff too.

eastwood6

Reaction score
One of Angus' amp techs said a while back that his usual settings for a non-master-volume Marshall was pretty much having everything about halfway up (12 noon), as referenced by the OP. Ace Frehley from KISS also once said his tone in the early days came from taking a NMV Marshall and turning everything up halfway.

I just think its interesting that these two classic 70's hard rock tones came from very similar setups. You can almost replicate this with a Class 5 head too.

Latest posts