Another JMP eBay adventure?

• Thread starter Garth Rocket
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
As usual, my dogs woke me up early and I decide to check the adds for amp and guitar deals. I have a theory, people might place adds while loaded late at night, thus making pricing mistakes that could be beneficial to the buyer. Just a theory of mine…

Anyway, lo and behold I see a 1971 Marshall Major offered for $4,999 plus $500 for shipping. I love my Majors, but I’ll pass on that. Then I see a 1980 vertical input JMP 2203 offered for $856 plus $38 shipping! Oh, yes the “buy now” tab and “make offer” tab are there. I took a quick look at the pics, and it looked clean and unmodified, with the exception of the knobs being swapped out. Seems like a no brainer, right? Of course I pulled the trigger!

The last order I made like this turned into a total debacle “see link below” I almost expect some nonsense with this order. Like the last orderIMG_1171.pngIMG_1172.pngIMG_1173.pngIMG_1174.pngIMG_1175.png, this seller is a first time seller. I have already messaged them with guidance on shipping and packing. I’ll provide updates as the story unfolds.

Last edited:

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck.
Hope it works out for you.

I always like to think that I’ll run in to someone selling gear that is not selling at “todays price” , similar to fresh seafood. Seller, “hmm, let’s see, I bought this 5 years ago when these cost $750, I have 5 years of fun and good times with this amp. They are selling for $3,000 now, oh well, I still will be making money if I sell for $1,200, not trying to gouge someone. Alright, I will sell for $1,200, not $3,000”.

Then I wake up from my dream and start my day.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
Good luck.
Hope it works out for you.

I always like to think that I’ll run in to someone selling gear that is not selling at “todays price” , similar to fresh seafood. Seller, “hmm, let’s see, I bought this 5 years ago when these cost $750, I have 5 years of fun and good times with this amp. They are selling for $3,000 now, oh well, I still will be making money if I sell for $1,200, not trying to gouge someone. Alright, I will sell for $1,200, not $3,000”.

Then I wake up from my dream and start my day.
I find that some people just do a quick search and don’t really know what they have. I feel the mistake someone might make on eBay is putting something up at a low price thinking it’s an auction anyway, when in fact the “buy now” tab is active and you snatch it for a low price. I could be wrong since I’ve never listed anything on eBay, but it seems plausible

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but is there any new news on the 1974?
The latest on the 1974 is eBay sent me a note closing the return case without asking me to return it. The seller went silent, because they probably got paid, and my credit card company reversed the charges. I have not started the refurb process yet, because I’ve been waiting to see if anything happens. I think I will start taking inventory on the various parts I’m going to need to get it back up and running. I don’t do any electrical work, but I can save some money by doing some of the things that are needed.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
No offense, but....
Ebay has a well established feedback rating for a very legitimate reason.
Sending $900 to a brand new ebay seller, with a positive feedback rating of ZERO , is just ..... silly.
In the end (if you used paypal) Im certain that you will get your money back, however, you fell right into the shaddy seller's trap.
Sometimes it pays, to sleep in!
Good luck, but I believe we allready know how this is going to end up...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I’ve got it, but I’ve been waiting to see if anything more was going to happen. At this point, I’m thinking it’s time to bring it back to life. I need to take inventory, order some parts, and start putting it back together.
Looking at the photos in the other thread, your "shit show" description of that 74 was spot on.

thesunship

Reaction score
No offense, but....
Ebay has a well established feedback rating for a very legitimate reason.
Sending $900 to a brand new ebay seller, with a positive feedback rating of ZERO , is just ..... silly.
In the end (if you used paypal) Im certain that you will get your money back, however, you fell right into the shaddy seller's trap.
Sometimes it pays, to sleep in!
Good luck, but I believe we allready know how this is going to end up...
Check feedback, then amp

Latest posts