Another longtime lurker turned noob!

• Thread starter Spectre13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre13

Reaction score
Howdy all!
I visit occasionally for info, but never registered until just now. Whenever I'm searching for info via Google searches, MarshallForum always pops up as a top result. I get my info, then move along. It wasn't until today, yes--after searching again, that I decided to stick around. I see a bunch of great discussions going on, and you members seem pretty hip! Unlike some of the other guitar and gear forums, you all seem pretty respectable, helpful and fun. I see some good-natured ribbing, and I always like that.
Anyway, enough about why I'm here--and on to who I am.
My name is Rob, and I just retired from the Ir Force after 22 1/2 years. I play Ibanez guitars. At last count, I had 36 various models: a handful of Jems, a bunch of MIJ RGs, an S540, Pro540Power, P-II HH, a few Destroyers, an Iceman, and a few custom builds. I've been playing since Christmas 1983, and have been through every major guitar brands, old and still around. I loved my old Kramers, Jacksons, pre-pro San Dimas Charvel, and ESP Mirage Deluxe and M-IIs. I got my first Ibanez in 1987. Yes, it was the RG-550 DY. I fell in love with that beast. Since then, I've had a few other Ibbies hagning around with the other brands in my collection. A few years ago, I just decided that I love all of my Ibbies and had no need for the other brands. Still wish I would've kept the pre-pro San Dimas Charvel, though--it was a BEAST!!! It had a solid maple body, seafoam green finish and an original Kahler. But, I found that all of my Ibbies suit me fine, and I have variety with the different models and pickup combos. Speaking of pickups, I'm also a DiMarzio loyalist. I have a different DiMarzio combo in all of my Ibanez models--it helps me justify having multiples of the same model...lol.
As far as amps go, I've had several over the decades as well. Like most who cut their teeth in the 80s--my first amp was a Peavey. It was an Audition. When I got good enough to play in a band, the need for more wattage took me to Buddy Rogers Music in Cincinnati--where I picked up a Peavey Renown. When I joined the Air Force in 1990, I left my two guitars behind along with that Renown. My mom later sent my two Kramers to me in Japan, but I needed a new amp. I ended up with another Peavey--this time, a tube Heritage. While in Japan, I picked up my second Ibanez--another RG-550 DY. Couldn't resist, as it was in a local pawn shop for $200.00
I've flip-flopped over the years between combos, half-stacks, full stacks, and rack gear. I've done the same with effects, too. I used to waffle between rack effects and analog pedals more than Brett Favre on his retirement...lol.
Now, all of these years later--I finally have setups I really like.
Besides the previously mentioned Ibanez collection, here is the rest of my gear--broken down by use.

Studio work
Rack effects
Plugins
Occasional pedal into recording amp (if one is used)
Overloud TH2
Waves GTR
Reaper
Occasional amp (if I'm after a real organic tone)

Jamming and Live playing
Amps:
Carvin Legacy 1
B-52 AT-100
Self-modded Epiphone Valve Jr.
Jet City JCA22H
Marshall Class 5
Marshall 5205 Reverb 12(just....can't......let.....it......go)
Cabs:
Two TubeWorks 2x12
B-52 AT-412A
Jet City JCA12S

Pedals:
Almost every Ibanez 9-series ever made.
Several modified BOSS overdrives and distortions.
Several scratch-built pedals.
Digitech I-Stomp
Tech-21 amp sim
Akai Distortion Factory
Zoom G2G George Lynch
Rocktron HUSH double

Misc Gear:
Zoom MRS-1044 multitrack
Vintage SR&D (Rockman) Distortion Generator half-rackspace unit
BBE 462
TC Helicon Voiceworks
Digitech Studio Quad
Digitech Vocalist
A few mixers
Yamaha Audiogram USB interface
Korg NanoKontrol2
Korg NanoPad2
Korg NanoKey2
USB-MIDI converter
KRK Rokit 8 monitors
Shure SM57
MXL 990 condenser
MXL 550/551 pack--red

As far as musical tastes, I like different stuff depending upon my mood.
Since I cut my teeth in the mid-80s, my absolute favorites are: Dokken, Ratt, Van Halen, Def Leppard, KISS, Ozzy, and the other typical 80s hair bands and shred guitarists.

I also like: Frank Zappa, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tommy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Jimmy Buffett, Pink, Ramones, Runaways, and a bunch of other artists/bands.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro thread--but I like to let everyone know as much as possible the first time, and in one post.

Now that you all know about me--I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. From what I've already read--you seem like a very fun bunch! You also appear highly intelligent, helpful and of good character. I also see respect here--very important! I've always believed that's okay to disagree--as long as both sides respect the others' opinions.

I'll be asking questions, as well as helping to others.

Now...ROCK ON!

Cheers,
Rob

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

from Cleveland originaly. Born not raised but i lived there for awhile.

anyway nice collection man, great to have you!:)

SRT2011

Reaction score
WOW....your intro really put my intro to SHAME!! :wow:
No problem....from one newby to another....welcome! :wave:
BTW.....One of my first guitars ever was an Ibanez 550. Initially, I thought it was the greatest guitar ever built....until I realized I was never going to be a good shredder guitar player. :eek: That didn't take long at all! :rofl:

After that....I went to a Fender Strat and a few others.....

Anyway....very informative post and welcome aboard! :)