ANOTHER ohm question

• Thread starter jlang11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlang11

Reaction score
Ive been reading stuff on various web sites (including here) and I think I am more confused now more than ever about 1 part. I think I have the first part understood, which is... just bought an Origin 20H and matching cab (cab is on the way). Since the cab is 8ohms, I use the 8ohm plug on the back of the amp to the ONLY plug on the 2x12 cab. Piece of cake! I also bought an 8ohm Two Notes Captor X which will fit nicely in the middle.

BUT

If I want to use my DSL 20H with my 1960A and the 8ohm Captor X, can I use the 8ohm plug on the back of the DSL into 1 side of the 1960A (left or right)? Its fine if it uses only 2 speakers as I am attenuating it already anyway, so the volume drop is fine.

Gutch220

Reaction score
If one half of the 1960A cabinet is 8-ohms when it's switched to STEREO, and the other Captor X cabinet is 8-ohms, then you would want to use the 4-ohm tap on your amp.

Some amps have a knob to choose the ohms, some have multiple jacks. If you have the option of two 8-ohm jacks on the amp (parallel), then use both of these jacks.

(If I think I understand what you're saying)

jlang11

Reaction score
The captor x is an attenuator... and its 8ohms... I know I cant connect the head like normal with the attenuator in the middle since the amp/cab are 16ohm and the attenuator is 8ohm (I should have gotten one with an ohm selector). I just wasnt sure if I could run only 1/2 the 1960 with 8ohms or if I would fry something. In 8ohms, does there need to be 2 wires run to the cab?

JohnH

Reaction score
if you want to attenuate, then you can go;

8 ohm amp output into 8ohm Captor

Output of Captor into 8 ohm half of 1960 cab.

jlang11

Reaction score
Awesome! Thats what I was hoping for, but wasnt 100% sure that would work. Thank you!

RLW59

Reaction score
Two Notes says that when the Captor X is attenuating, the cab impedance doesn't matter -- the amp will only "see" your Captor's 8 ohm input impedance. So as long as you're dropping the volume with the Captor you can use all four speakers in the cab at 16 ohms (or 4 ohms if you wanted).

The full volume setting on the Captor X bypasses the attenuation circuit and the amp is connected directly to the cab, so then you'd be running a (pretty safe) mismatch of amp 8 ohm output into cab 16 ohm input.

(In full volume mode the Captor X is still tapping a line level signal from the amp for recording, but the impedance change is so tiny it doesn't matter.)

So if you're attenuating you can use any cab impedance.
---------------------------
It's also fine to use two of the speakers at 8 ohms in the cab's stereo mode. Then you can switch from attenuation to full volume without an impedance mismatch.

But running two speakers won't be a lot quieter than all running all four. (Long explanation for that.)

Last edited:

jlang11

Reaction score
OOOOHHHH so I can just use the 8ohm output on the DSL into the Captor, and out to the regular 16ohm in the 4x12 and be good! Thats awesome!! Thank you for the explanation!!! Most of the time I would be running the attenuator to keep the volume down so I wouldnt make the family crazy lol.