Another Wireless System Question

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Easton55

Reaction score
Still looking into picking up a wireless system to get away from the cables and give me more freedom to move around. Was just wondering if the noise suppressor pedal will still be needed after making a switch? I realize the guitar can still have noise depending on the electronics, along with many other variables, but just wondering how much hiss and such will be gone without the cables in play. Haven't actually tried out any yet, just watched reviews and videos on them.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
That's a good question. I was watching a recently recorded rig video where Slash's guitar tech was discussing his signal chain. After the wireless receiver, the signal goes into several units, including an EQ pedal and a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor. I found it interesting that even with all the money and influence someone of Slash's stature, he and his tech still have somewhat of a battle with noise from the wireless unit.

Slash story aside, I think that the noise issue will vary from device to device where some units will do a fantastic job of reproducing a very quiet signal whereas others units will be not as good (as you stated, noise can emanate from a variety of sources, so I, too, am focusing on the potential noise solely from a wireless unit). I mainly use cables, but I have experienced the benefits of wireless, and do encourage it if that's the direction a player wants to go. But do some homework/research on the various devices out there, but keep that noise suppressor in your gig bag just in case.

I know forum member "zachman" has lots of experience with wireless units from the point of view as a player, tech, and dealer, so I hope he will click on this thread to offer his views.

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
It depends. I noticed a couple of guitars that are quieter with my G10 Transmitter. One is a very high output HSH shred guitar and the other is a vintage japanese les paul with slightly microphonic pafs. I'm not sure why 2 out of 5 have noticeably less interference noise. It wasn't bad enough for me to investigate the noise source to begin with, not when I don't crank them up in the study at home. But maybe 5 - 10% quieter which is not insignificant.

I notice it more with modeling amps that are hooked up to a computer, so it might have something to do with the house grounding in this 50's building and groundloop hum.

Should add If you need a noise gate now, I don't think wireless will make any difference.

Last edited:

Dmann

Reaction score
using a Line 6 relay G50 for years in various setups with both amps and modelers, it's the exact same as plugging in with a lead for me in all cases.... well except for when I'm like 200 ft away and there is a slight delay.

ymmv

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I have the line 6 g75 and have been using it for 2 years now. It’s been flawless. I have 3 transmitters for my main, backup, and Dtune guitars live. It sounds exactly like a cord....actually have some cord length parameters that can be saved to each individual transmitter.....great tuner too.

Easton55

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! Was just something I hadn't seen asked or come up in regards to a wireless unit, so knew people here would have more info. Wasn't going to change my mind either way, will still be going with one sooner or later. Thanks again!

JLBIII

Reaction score
Signal path from my HSS Charvel goes to a wireless Shure GLXD 16, then into wah pedal, an Exotic EP and finally a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor before sending it thru a Mogami cable to the head. I run the head wide open with the master and channel volume on 10, so I need the incoming signal to be as noise free as possible in between songs or gaps in my playing. Gain varies and I control the overall volume with my guitar volume knob.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Signal path from my HSS Charvel goes to a wireless Shure GLXD 16, then into wah pedal, an Exotic EP and finally a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor before sending it thru a Mogami cable to the head. I run the head wide open with the master and channel volume on 10, so I need the incoming signal to be as noise free as possible in between songs or gaps in my playing. Gain varies and I control the overall volume with my guitar volume knob.

Your noise gate is your only option for quiet unless your amp has an FX loop. So if you're using the NS2 properly, that's the most noise reduction you're going to get with a NMV amp.

JLBIII

Reaction score
Your noise gate is your only option for quiet unless your amp has an FX loop. So if you're using the NS2 properly, that's the most noise reduction you're going to get with a NMV amp.

The head is a JVM with FX loop. This is my first amp with a loop. All my modulation and delay effects go thru the FX loop. Your can hear the amount of noise the NS2 cuts out when you turn it off.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
The head is a JVM with FX loop. This is my first amp with a loop. All my modulation and delay effects go thru the FX loop. Your can hear the amount of noise the NS2 cuts out when you turn it off.

With the jvm I would run an ISP decimatior G-string. It goes in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time. It’s pretty well the most effective gate you can get.