Any alternatives to the Celestion G10L-35 ?

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Hi guys i wanted to know what's your thoughts about this 10inch speaker ?

i think it has a great crunch and it's incredibly great for 80's hard rock.

is there any speaker which has a similar tone ? I tried the green beret but i think it's too harsh sounding and nasal compared to the celestion.

knulp

Reaction score
Why am alternative if you know you like it?
I have some of them for a honest price if you want.
A nice alternative is the celestion g10m but it’s slightly different.
To really appreciate the g10l-35 you need four of them in a 1965b Marshall cab in my opinion but Matchless used them with success in a few 2x10 combos as well.
They have a very natural and relaxed attack and inefficient enough to never be fatiguing expecially indoor.
Very nice for soloing and while greenbackish they have their unique color in the hi mids that sounds somewhat more modern..but not scooped.
Beware that they distort easily and respond very differently to low or high volume and I prefer not to punish them.
In my opinion they are one of the best match possible for 20 watt heads

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Why am alternative if you know you like it?
I have some of them for a honest price if you want.
A nice alternative is the celestion g10m but it’s slightly different.
To really appreciate the g10l-35 you need four of them in a 1965b Marshall cab in my opinion but Matchless used them with success in a few 2x10 combos as well.
They have a very natural and relaxed attack and inefficient enough to never be fatiguing expecially indoor.
Very nice for soloing and while greenbackish they have their unique color in the hi mids that sounds somewhat more modern..but not scooped.
Beware that they distort easily and respond very differently to low or high volume and I prefer not to punish them.
In my opinion they are one of the best match possible for 20 watt heads
Yes that's exactly right it sounds amazing with my EL84 plexi. I wanted to see if there was a similar speaker i could offer to build and sell handmade combos.

Selling new combos with old second hand speakers seems quite inadequate :S.

knulp

Reaction score
Yes that's exactly right it sounds amazing with my EL84 plexi. I wanted to see if there was a similar speaker i could offer to build and sell handmade combos.

Selling new combos with old second hand speakers seems quite inadequate :S.
Depends on the buyer I suppose.
Second hand can be seen as an advantage since the speaker is broken in and just have to be in good condition.
Some people get it,usually the experienced ones,others are flexible and prone to learning if informations are delivered clearly and honestly.
To each his own in the end but maybe give the buyer a choice..expecially since the g10l-35 is quite unique and no longer made.
However if I had to get a new speaker I’d go g10m
With el84 Marshalls the Marshall 1965b is killer!

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
IMG_9556.jpegIMG_9555.jpeg
There were apparently two different magnet sizes.
I bought a full stack from the original owner that said he bought the stack the week they came out.
Both cabs had a pair of the larger magnets
on the bottom and smaller on top.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
G10 Greenback and G10 Creamback. Love 'em. I'd cheerfully replace every G10L-35 with a G10 Greenback or Creamback and never look back.

ampeq

Reaction score
I don't know how good they are but WGS has some nice 10" speakers I would not be afraid of trying. I like the ET65 and they make a 10" version of that. Take a look:

Latest posts