Any Marshalls come stock with DC heaters?

• Thread starter vivanchenko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Looks like the Origins have DC heaters. I did note that my 50 watter is very quiet. Just remembered one of the idiot reviewers on Youtube saying "everything about the amp screams cheap". What an idiot. One should never trust Youtube reviews unless it's someone yo know.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Looks like the Origins have DC heaters. I did note that my 50 watter is very quiet. Just remembered one of the idiot reviewers on Youtube saying "everything about the amp scrims cheap". What an idiot. One should never trust Youtube reviews unless it's someone yo know.

IIRC, all or most of the Studio series amps have DC heaters for V1 & V2. I only have a schematic for the SV20 (definitely DC heaters on V1 & V2), but I'm not sure about the other models in the series. Certainly a fairly easy and relatively inexpensive way to reduce hum while squeezing a tad more gain out of those stages.
Just Squeezin'
Gene

vivanchenko

Reaction score
IIRC, all or most of the Studio series amps have DC heaters for V1 & V2. I only have a schematic for the SV20 (definitely DC heaters on V1 & V2), but I'm not sure about the other models in the series. Certainly a fairly easy and relatively inexpensive way to reduce hum while squeezing a tad more gain out of those stages.
Just Squeezin'
Gene
Speaking about inexpensive, it is not, if we are talking about mass production. The extra cost (an extra bridge rectifier, 7 extra caps, more complicated PCB) does eat into profits. Also, the power transformer requires extra winding specifically for the V1 and V2 filaments, which means that you have to come up with an new transformer design, specifically for this amp, rather than just reusing your standard 50W transformer from the older models. It is not cheap. Definitely not what you usually find in cheap amps.

Honestly, in my opinion Marshall deserves a lot of praise for coming up with such a good amp with a bunch of nice features, at such a low price point. Those initial reviews were either totally ignorant or paid for by competition, or both. How come that none of those "techs" staring at the PCBs didn't even mention DC filaments? What kind of techs are they? Those reviews were a HUGE disservice for everyone considering buying a Marshall amp. The general initial reception of the amp should have discouraged Marshall from coming up with new aproch to amp design. Now they probably will be limited to simply reissuing allder models with a few extra bells and wistles slapped on.