Any Other Axe FX Owners Back To Their Tubes?

• Thread starter base851
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

base851

Reaction score
I have an Axe FX II and had been using it exclusively for about a year until recently. The unit is great and has a zillion great tones in it, but what I found was that in a loud live setting, it just couldn't cut through the mix... even with the Preamp and Matrix power amps cranked going through a Mesa 4X12.

My bass player says "Try your Marshall", so I plugged my JCM 800 into the 4X12 and *poof*... cut like a knife. Plus I got that "amp in the room" feel back that I had been missing.

So now I find myself playing more through the Marshall than the Axe.

Anyone have similar experiences?

81LesPaul

Reaction score
Yep been there done that got the T-Shirt.

I spent forever tweaking my modelling gear - spent more time tweaking than playing. Man the time I put into that gear -sheesh.

Like you got fed up - bought a proper amp and dusted off my old pedals - had the sound I had been looking for in about 20 minutes. God that was a hard lesson to learn.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Not an Axe fx user but did just get a Eleven Rack I really like it, going to try it with my band this week. So far it sounds very real into a Alto TS112A Powered monitor, no lack of cut or clarity.

Last edited:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I never stopped using my tube rigs. I got the axe fx II to fill in the gaps and it does that well but you can get an in the room feel with them. it takes some tweaking but it can be done. that said I got it to record with and it's convenient for that.

RG31

Reaction score
I do use a Vox Tonelab that I connect to my JCM 2000, but I use the presets that can be downloaded and installed without wasting a lot of time so I can play instead of tweeking endless settings.

David Garner

Reaction score
I have an Axe FX II and had been using it exclusively for about a year until recently. The unit is great and has a zillion great tones in it, but what I found was that in a loud live setting, it just couldn't cut through the mix... even with the Preamp and Matrix power amps cranked going through a Mesa 4X12.

My bass player says "Try your Marshall", so I plugged my JCM 800 into the 4X12 and *poof*... cut like a knife. Plus I got that "amp in the room" feel back that I had been missing.

So now I find myself playing more through the Marshall than the Axe.

Anyone have similar experiences?

I haven't because I don't own an Axe FX, but we played a gig recently and one of the other bands had one, and it sounded amazing. They weren't what I would call "loud," but the mix was near perfect.

Are there other guitar players in the band drowning you out with loud stage volume? Don't get me wrong -- I love my Marshall. But I was pretty impressed with the tones this cat was getting.

trobdcso

Reaction score
I love tubes, but it should cut if you run it through your board. A good sound guy can do it.

keennay

Reaction score
If I ever relocate to California, which is highly likely in the near future, I'd most likely consider purchasing an Axe FX. I wouldn't see myself entering home ownership for a long time, and besides nothing would compare to storing my tube amps in the middle-of-nowhere Georgia, where I can can crank them as loud as I'd like without bothering any neighbors... unless I become a millionaire.

Prove me wrong California residing forum members.

base851

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear... this was in a rehearsal space, not in a true live setting. In that case, yeah I'm sure a good sound guy could mix it well through the board.

The problem during rehearsal is that I stand right next to my drummer, who is freaking *loud*. No joke I had my Matrix & Axe both cranked and I literally couldn't hear myself. My guess is with some EQ I could have fixed it, but at the time we just decided to give the JCM a shot. It was like night and day in terms of being able to hear myself.

I'm not knocking the Axe at all, I'm definitely keeping mine, it's just that I fell in love with my 800 all over again. :hbang:

johnfv

Reaction score
The Axe does excellent simulations and is a great tool to have (I own one). The classic JCM800 amps on the other hand are the real thing - what everyone tries to simulate. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Still have and like both the Axe FX and traditional tube amps, but for different reasons. If I had to choose one for live situations, I'd probably choose the Axe FX due to it's extreme versatility. It takes time and patience, but the Axe FX, combined with the right power amp (or active cab), can be indistinguishable from it's modeled counterparts. I've run mine through a power amp and guitar cabs as well as through full range monitors (CLR's), and both sound awesome. The CLR's provide much better dispersion than a typical guitar cab, and that is what I prefer. There's no reason the Axe FX, with the proper settings, shouldn't cut through as well as (or better than) a traditional head.

You spoke about the Axe FX setup not "cutting" and also not being loud enough, which are different issues. There should be no problem EQ'ing the Axe FX to cut, but if you're needing more power, your Matrix may not be up to the task. You didn't mention which Matrix you were using (or if you did I missed it).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My power amp is a Matrix GT1000FX.

Man, I'd think that would be plenty loud. Have you checked the global output levels on the Axe FX, maybe they're turned down. I could probably shatter windows with my Axe FX output set at 12:00 through my Carvin power amp.

Last edited:

Silverburst

Reaction score
My axe fx 2 sounds great, but I just need to have some real amps. For me a head and a 4x12 still have a different prescence sound and feeling wise which I can't let go atm.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My axe fx 2 sounds great, but I just need to have some real amps. For me a head and a 4x12 still have a different prescence sound and feeling wise which I can't let go atm.

Same here, there's a little cave man in all of us. I really can't justify having several tube heads, so I'm seriously considering selling off all but 1 or 2.

base851

Reaction score
Man, I'd think that would be plenty loud. Have you checked the global output levels on the Axe FX, maybe they're turned down. I could probably shatter windows with my Axe FX output set at 12:00 through my Carvin power amp.

Yeah. Which makes me think I just had the EQ wrong, because the mix, to my ears anyway, was just mush.

Like you, with the Axe now I plan to get rid of most of my other heads, but the 800 is definitely a keeper. :hbang:

Latest posts