Any value on Old Caps?

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
I have a set of cans Daly Cans from a 78 2203 (possibly a ‘84 VI 1992 as well) and a set of LCRs from a 1989 Jubilee 2550. I have since sold the amps aside from the 2203 and hold on to its cans for the sake of keeping whatever original parts with the amp.

As for those to the other (sold) amps, I have no use for them and wondering whether it’s worth trying to sell them or not. Any ideas?

PelliX

Reaction score
As for those to the other (sold) amps, I have no use for them and wondering whether it’s worth trying to sell them or not. Any ideas?

Depends if you have a conscience or not. Some people out there will give you good money for them. Some will be more inclined to whoop out their wallet if you demonstrate that the ESR and capacitance are on spec (often those caps will show fairly OK at a typical low voltage test, whereas they're a lot worse nearer the actual operating spec). Some people make a sport out of re-forming them.

To me, they're like tyres. Sure, you can take old ones and use them if they haven't fallen apart. No way would I pay decent money for them - but why not pop them here in the classifieds? One man's rubbish is another man's treasure, as they say.

On a sidenote; some creative people actually tear out the innards and put replacement caps in them to retain the original 'look'. As long as everyone's being honest about what's what - viva le free market. :yesway:

EADGBE

Reaction score
Not used electrolytic capacitors. New are always best.

Purplexi

Reaction score
On a sidenote; some creative people actually tear out the innards and put replacement caps in them to retain the original 'look'. As long as everyone's being honest about what's what - viva le free market. :yesway:
Who are these "creative people? sounds like a good use of the Daly outer sleeve and a great way to preserve the visual aspect of a 2203/4 innards. Love to hear about that!🤘

PelliX

Reaction score
Who are these "creative people? sounds like a good use of the Daly outer sleeve and a great way to preserve the visual aspect of a 2203/4 innards. Love to hear about that!🤘

I can't remember, to be honest - but I recall seeing the practice discussed on the forum here. In the electronics world it's frowned on as there was a time (maybe still is) when some started peddling this sort of stuff at quantity:

A5h_-zjBXpKIun1I-p43tM08MX3GkdO-RLoSzWsQE6A.jpg

But indeed, if you want to retain that vintage look on your amp - sure, it's a great idea. :yesway: