Any Way To Lower The Dsl100h Gain On The Red Channels?

• Thread starter rpurdue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rpurdue

Reaction score
Hi guys! I tried to search through the mega thread on the DSL40C but i couldn't find a way to phrase it specific enough. Anyways, is there any mods to lower the gain on Lead1/2 on the new DSL? I tried 5751's and even then, it's still way too much. Any info is appreciated!

Cheers

Kutt

Reaction score
Perhaps try a 12AY7 next. If that does not lower it enough for you then perhaps try a 12AU7. The gain goes progressively lower in that order. I have been on a 12AY7 kick myself in taming my super high gain amps to get them to lean more in the direction of a Marshall.

Not sure if you have a preference on where to buy from, but the guys at Eurotubes have been very, very helpful to me over the years. I have no affiliation with them, just an appreciative customer. They too will provide you with some advice if you ask.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi guys! I tried to search through the mega thread on the DSL40C but i couldn't find a way to phrase it specific enough. Anyways, is there any mods to lower the gain on Lead1/2 on the new DSL? I tried 5751's and even then, it's still way too much. Any info is appreciated!

Cheers
12AT7, 12AU7, 7025, and a host of others all have lower gain than 12AX7

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I don't know what the layout is on that amp but what AMS said, or if it's a shared slot JJ makes a tube that's split half hot half not. Talk to Eurotubes as suggested they sell these.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Are you wanting to mod the amp, or just swap tubes? Also, you have DSL100H, correct?

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Try using preamp tubes with a lower gain factor. You'll need to know what preamp tube positions on the DSL are gain stages, but if you don't know then try asking some DSL owners. It's cheaper to try a couple of few different preamp tubes than to start modifying it, but modification might be the next step. Good luck.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
26270d1450823571-sub-tube-12ax7-fender-projunior-amp-12ax7chart-jpg

Kiko

Reaction score
Follow Tube recomendations above. Also you might try lowering the volume of your guitar, it's a simple technique that will lower the signal.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
There's a problem you'll usually run into when trying to reduce the gain on a 2 or more channel amp by tube swapping. There are 2 stages of amplification in each preamp tube, and the tubes are usually shared amongst channels. In most multi-channel Marshalls, it's difficult to drop the gain of one channel without affecting the others. In this type of situation, modding is typically the best approach to achieving the desired result (or buy a different amp...).

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a JJ 12AY7 in V2. I'm doing it in my DSL40. Makes it more open and "vintage" like on the red side.

I ran guitar volume down then maxed it. L2 gain at 3 and L1 gain at 6. So there is still plenty more gain to add if wanted.

Last edited:

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
No idea but if I buy another Marshall that's the amp i'm getting they can do everything well.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I posted a few simple mods on this in that DSL40C thread.

Or maybe try searching "DSL secret sauce".

rpurdue

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found a JJ tube that one half is a 12ax7 and the other a 12au7 so i think i'm going to try that. If that doesn't do the trick i'll try some of the other mods.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found a JJ tube that one half is a 12ax7 and the other a 12au7 so i think i'm going to try that. If that doesn't do the trick i'll try some of the other mods.

I tried that tube. Some like it. I didn't care for it. Hope you find something that works for you.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Let me know if that doesn't work for you, I've done some mods to my DSL100H which may get you there.

Kutt

Reaction score

Is it an ECC832? If so, I put one of those in my Prosonic combo. It did the trick.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're planning on trying it in the V1 position and that the 12AU7 section corresponds to the 2nd stage, correct?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it an ECC832? If so, I put one of those in my Prosonic combo. It did the trick.

The JJ I used was the 823. So I don't know how a JJ 832 does.

Interesting trying these variants after all the NOS and CP 12AX7's/5751/12AT7's normally used.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
This may be a completely useless post but on my 15H changing v3 to a 7025 along with lower gain (groove tubes) in v1 and v2 made a huge difference. Keeping the gain on about 2 or less gives me a nice classic tone and I don't even have a lead 1! Now, the big boy may be different but from my understanding on the 15 v3 affects only the red channel, thus putting as low of a gain tube as possible in that slot cleaned it up and left the green alone.

Latest posts