• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Anybody have a noise issue with a One Spot?

• Thread starter Webslinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Webslinger

Reaction score
I had a few people recommend the One Spot power supply.
http://truetone.com/1-spot/
This would be for my Boss 3-pedal board, which I had burned-out a couple of generic AC-to-9volt wall warts. Bought the One Spot kit (with 8-device daisy chain and extra adapters). It has a 1700Ma rating, so three common pedals are no problem. Never tried more than 3. For awhile is was great! and dead-quiet. But after several rehearsals (about 25 hours of use total) my pedals became very noisy, esp with the distortion pedal, and also had an oscillating sound to it. Tried different outlets (US 120v AC), different buildings/homes, different daisy chain cord, and 3 completely different pedals, and with different amps..same thing. It's definitely the One Spot. something inside must have gone bad? Odd thing is it is NOT noisy with only two pedals, but connect a third, the noise is bad, so bad I cant use it live. And the 1yr warranty has passed.
Has anyone had this issue with the One Spot US-version?

(I know some will recommend another brand/device, but lets keep this about the True ToneOne Spot for right now)

Frodebro

Reaction score
Generally, noises in daisy-chained pedal configurations are due to the clock noises in digital pedals bleeding through and becoming amplified by the rest of the chain. If this is the case here, it's not the power supply that's causing the problem.

royslead

Reaction score
The only time I had an issue with the OneSpot and noise, was using it to power a few pedals AND my G Minor midi controller (it's just a simple controller I use with a G Major). It made for a constant hum that drove me nuts, and now that I do not use it for the G Minor, I have no issues. I even have both units next to each other, on a power strip, and it's quiet.

tschrama

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the 1spot adaptor: high pitched squeel and some mains noise. You could easely make a power supply filter with a 10 Ohm resistor and a 4700uF 15V cap.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
1Spots are convenient and cheap, but very, very inefficient. As said above, daisy chains suck if you want clean power. You need a proper isolated power supply. Spend a good $150 or so for one.

Webslinger

Reaction score
Generally, noises in daisy-chained pedal configurations are due to the clock noises in digital pedals bleeding through and becoming amplified by the rest of the chain. If this is the case here, it's not the power supply that's causing the problem.
All my pedals are analog. Common Boss and a few Ibanez 9-series. I tried different pedals and the noise changes, but still there. And the noise was NOT there for awhile, but after about 25 hours of use, it just happened and been that way since. Something with the One Spot definitely went bad.

Webslinger

Reaction score
1Spots are convenient and cheap, but very, very inefficient. As said above, daisy chains suck if you want clean power. You need a proper isolated power supply. Spend a good $150 or so for one.
I also have the larger 6-pedal Boss board with a better P/S that I use for serious gigs. This 3-pedal board is for rehearsals, house jams, open-mic, etc. But I still dont want it to whine & buzz. And I wouldn't call $19 bucks each "cheap". If they were less than $10, then I'd easier accept they have a finite service life and are disposable.

Webslinger

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the 1spot adaptor: high pitched squeel and some mains noise. You could easely make a power supply filter with a 10 Ohm resistor and a 4700uF 15V cap.
Can you elaborate? How did you make it? Is there a webpage with instructions, maybe?

JAC

Reaction score
The power supply itself is very cool and quiet. When you daisy chain depending on pedals you can get noise. I have one which I like using just by itself. I usually don't stack more then three or four pedals so I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Iso5. It works cherry with regulated isolated power taps. I have the Visual Sound version of the One Spot. I'm not sure if True Tone is still making them.

riefil

Reaction score
I had a problem with mine. Returned it for a new one and no problems thereafter.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I have two One

Good advice. I might get one myself since I use a couple of One Spots - haven't had any problems with them yet, but it just makes sense to go with an iso power supply.

junk notes

Reaction score
2016 from a member from 2011..

funny azz shite!
Youve been bombed by Similar Threads

Statistically as noted, most all members hate or do not care for this feature and is falling on Admins deaf ears lol:nutkick:

Len

Reaction score
1-Spots are a low cost option for a reason. They come with some amount of risk. If you want less risk then spend more on an isolated output supply.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Never had a problem w/ One Spot until I bought an MXR Looper. For some reason the pedal makes a high pitched noise if connected to the One Spot.
Looper came with it's own power supply so I just used that.

Fast forward to this past winter when I bought my first amp with an effects loop. I discovered my HoF Mini Reverb makes a high pitched noise when in the loop and using the One Spot. WTF.
So now the reverb pedal gets the looper power supply since I don't really use the looper much.
No idea why there was no noise with reverb & one spot in front of my old amps.

mark123

Reaction score
I have an idea. I'm going to check out using a one spot with a gigrig isolator. I think it'll work.

htaylor

Reaction score
This would be for my Boss 3-pedal board, which I had burned-out a couple of generic AC-to-9volt wall warts. Bought the One Spot kit (with 8-device daisy chain and extra adapters). It has a 1700Ma rating, so three common pedals are no problem. Never tried more than 3. For awhile is was great! and dead-quiet. But after several rehearsals (about 25 hours of use total) my pedals became very noisy, esp with the distortion pedal, and also had an oscillating sound to it. Tried different outlets (US 120v AC), different buildings/homes, different daisy chain cord, and 3 completely different pedals, and with different amps..same thing. It's definitely the One Spot. something inside must have gone bad? Odd thing is it is NOT noisy with only two pedals, but connect a third, the noise is bad, so bad I cant use it live. And the 1yr warranty has passed.

(I know some will recommend another brand/device, but lets keep this about the True ToneOne Spot for right now)
ToneOne is a cheap product. You need to get rid of it. Get a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3 power supply. You won't have any problems. They have brackets kits available so you can attach them under your pedal board out of sight out of mind. I have one on each of my boards.

TheChris

Reaction score

Zero problems. They are essentially digital, transformerless, noiseless power supplies... Between them, and Godlyke, I've been using this type of adapter for 20 years. You didn't mention what pedals you're using. I use them with 8 pedals, but some companies are better than others. Reply with what pedals you're using, and I bet I can spot the issue. For instance, EH is hit or miss, and Zoom 5XX pedals won't work.

TheChris

Reaction score
Had a big problem with those and a JVM. I used BOSS adapters after and that fixed it
A 300ma adapter solved a problem that a 2A power supply couldn't? Boss adapters are terrible. They have transformers and get hot. Are you saying you just use a bunch of Boss adapters, or one?

Latest posts