Anybody make transformers?

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Do any of you make transformers? I've got a confirmed damaged 20 watt output transformer out of a Marshall 2061X.

They're surprisingly expensive to replace, so I figure I can TRY to take it apart, unwind it, find the fault, replace the winding, and put it back together.
I initially tried to just see if I could pry laminations out but I buggered one E lamination badly. I then dumped it in lacquer thinner for a few hours and then
the disassembly went pretty smoothly.

But I need to replace the one E lamination that I destroyed. Or maybe it's no big deal but I'd rather replace it than leave it out. It's just how I am .

The E lamination by itself is 2-5/8 by 1-3/4 inches, or for those of you who don't speak Inch, that's 67 x 45 mm.

Where can I get SINGLE laminations?

Or does anyone have a dead transformer with a core size of 67 x 57 mm ( "I" lamination size is 67 x 12 mm) that can be used for spare laminations?
Center post width of the E lam is 22mm.

Do you know of a source for transformer parts?

william vogel

Reaction score
Do any of you make transformers? I've got a confirmed damaged 20 watt output transformer out of a Marshall 2061X.

They're surprisingly expensive to replace, so I figure I can TRY to take it apart, unwind it, find the fault, replace the winding, and put it back together.
I initially tried to just see if I could pry laminations out but I buggered one E lamination badly. I then dumped it in lacquer thinner for a few hours and then
the disassembly went pretty smoothly.

But I need to replace the one E lamination that I destroyed. Or maybe it's no big deal but I'd rather replace it than leave it out. It's just how I am .

The E lamination by itself is 2-5/8 by 1-3/4 inches, or for those of you who don't speak Inch, that's 67 x 45 mm.

Where can I get SINGLE laminations?

Or does anyone have a dead transformer with a core size of 67 x 57 mm ( "I" lamination size is 67 x 12 mm) that can be used for spare laminations?
Center post width of the E lam is 22mm.

Do you know of a source for transformer parts?
I have to look to see if I have one. The real question is are you going to be able to insert it into place after you get the copper core repaired and ready to stack. Unless you 100% remove all the varnish and have a stacking machine I’m betting big that you probably have maybe one more lamination left after this is over. Wonder how I know? Also you need a vacuum chamber to properly impregnate the core with varnish. It’s very important to remove all the air and fill the space between the coils with varnish so as that they are locked into place and can’t resonate once an A/C signal is applied. The varnish isn’t there for insulation but it’s to seal and make the windings remain stationary.

2L man

Reaction score
Pics! This would make a great series.
I have used a fridge compressor and big class jar which lid has a siliconed hose connector. As vacuum pump part of compressor operate in vacuum without cooling as well and it should kept running only minute or two (which is enough) and then cool five times longer and compressor oil does not boil and spray out making a mess. Anyhow rag should be wound over the exhaust pipe.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I may do this someday but I just bought a Heyboer replacement for 72 bucks plus shipping for the project instead. Maybe the day will come when I want to take on the rewind, but not today.

stratburst

Reaction score
I may do this someday but I just bought a Heyboer replacement for 72 bucks plus shipping for the project instead. Maybe the day will come when I want to take on the rewind, but not today.
At $72 its not really worth your time to rewind it unless it's to learn the process. Now if it was your 72? JMP20 it would be a different story. Keep on jamin...

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Exactly. It's not about cost, it's about learning. When the day comes when I learn nothing, grab your shovel and bury me. Because I'm dead.