• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Anyone using the Line 6 HX effects in there loop?

• Thread starter Hutch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch

Reaction score
Anyone using the Line 6 HX effects in there loop and amp control ? What are your thoughts ?

rick16v

Reaction score
Yep. Worked really well with my Silver Jube. I used 4CM so I could use the Jube gain for crunch, boost the jube preamp with a klon for high gain, and use the HELIX for clean sounds.

Just about to start using it with my JVM, only difference is that I'll change channels with MIDI.

walshb

Reaction score
I'll be trying it tomorrow, into a Fuchs Blackjack. First I had to find a TRS Y cable because the FX Loop on this amp has both send and return incorporated in a single TRS jack. I don't expect to encounter any problems though.
What are your concerns?

Hutch

Reaction score
I'll be trying it tomorrow, into a Fuchs Blackjack. First I had to find a TRS Y cable because the FX Loop on this amp has both send and return incorporated in a single TRS jack. I don't expect to encounter any problems though.
What are your concerns?
No concerns just seeing on how many people tried it. I been using it for awhile notwand sounds and woks great cut pedal board down in size for sure.

wakjob

Reaction score
Ordered the HX Stomp. Can't wait.

Good to hear others liking their HX's (FX or Stomp).
Gonna be using it in the loop also...maybe 4cm too.

Any tricks or noobie pitfalls I should be concerned about?

walshb

Reaction score

I don't know if the Stomp will have the same problem as my HX FX did. There were four factory 4CM presets that came in the HX FX. I couldn't get them to work for awhile, I've heard others have had this problem also. For some reason, there was a volume pedal inserted in the signal chain and they had it in EXP 1 input instead of EXP 2 where it normally is. Of course my expression pedal was plugged into EXP 2. After I changed that (in the preset), the presets worked. If you set up your own 4CM presets with an FX Loop, you probably won't run into this problem.

Frodebro

Reaction score

Good to hear others liking their HX's (FX or Stomp).
Gonna be using it in the loop also...maybe 4cm too.

The main one that comes to mind is firmware updates-they're not difficult as long as you read the instructions first and do everything they tell you to do-in the order they tell you to do it. If you don't follow the instructions and do something out of order or skip a step, you'll wind up pulling out your hair and cursing up a blue streak.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I've tried the Helix Floor in the effects loop of my JVM410H and my Mesa-Boogie Road King 2 (I didn't keep it, but was very impressed). I only used the Helix for effects and in both amp's effects loop (no four cable method). Very easy to setup and customize to your own preferences. A little pricey, but if it's exactly what you're looking for, then it's probably worth a serious look/try.

wakjob

Reaction score
I've tried the Helix Floor in the effects loop of my JVM410H and my Mesa-Boogie Road King 2 (I didn't keep it, but was very impressed). I only used the Helix for effects and in both amp's effects loop (no four cable method). Very easy to setup and customize to your own preferences. A little pricey, but if it's exactly what you're looking for, then it's probably worth a serious look/try.

Think you'll end up giving either the HX FX or Stomp a go?

I agree, the Helix can be overkill and pricey.
Hard to justify the $$$ when only using 10% of it's abilities.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score

That is the way with most multi effects.
I have slow gear, rotary speaker, ring modulator sims, etc., that will never get used.
But good value for all the ones you will use.
And so many combinations and settings a the press of a switch!
I am slowly wandering down the pedal route too, but have always had BOSS GTs.

ampeq

Reaction score

They really shine for guys that go through a lot of pedals. If you only use a couple there is no sense in spending all the money, but if you use a lot and like to change all the time they are a great deal. It doesn't take long to blow $1500 on good pedals today, and when your done you only have one of each sound device you chose. With the Helix, or any other system like it, you have approximately 10+ of each type as well as everything else you might not thought of yet. I don't care for the amps / cabs part of it, I wish they took those out and dropped the price about $300. They do work fine, I just like my own amps.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I don't care for the amps / cabs part of it, I wish they took those out and dropped the price about $300. They do work fine, I just like my own amps.
You have just described the Helix HX effects!
It is the stripped down version of the full Helix, with no Amp/Cab sims or expression pedal.

In the UK @ Andertons
Helix=£1,199
Helix LT=£769
Helix HX=£379

ampeq

Reaction score
You have just described the Helix HX effects!
It is the stripped down version of the full Helix, with no Amp/Cab sims or expression pedal.

In the UK @ Andertons
Helix=£1,199
Helix LT=£769
Helix HX=£379
Yeh, I almost bought it to. If the screen was like the LT it would be perfect for what I want.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score

I'm looking very closely at Helix LT and Boss GT-1000. Both are really great units that produce excellent sound quality, very versatile, powerful customization features, etc. For example, GT-1000 has an amazing built-in support for PC, Android, and iOS (Android and iOS support allows for wireless customization with a mobile device via Bluetooth). I like HX effects, but I also like having a built-in expression pedal so Helix LT and Boss GT-1000 both qualify for my list.

Right now I'm using the Line 6 POD HD500X and an old (as in discontinued) Line 6 Floor POD Plus units. Right now those two units cover everything I need for effects, so there's no real sense of urgency.

Quite frankly, I'd feel more confident putting together two rack units (one as the main piece and the other as backup). What troubles me with multi-effects systems is that your whole sound is contained in one unit, and if that unit goes down you're in a bit of trouble (that hasn't happened to me yet but anything is possible). Given the price of some of these all-in-one multi-effects units I'm not sure if I can buy two, and then working out the place for the backup in my rig will be challenging, too. With two rack effects systems, both are contained in the same rack space and be on stage at the same time. Additionally, switching over from one rack effects system to another can be as easy as stepping on a switch for certain foot controllers.

Decisions, decisions. At least we all got great choices going into 2020 (let's see what NAMM brings us).

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I sold my Line 6 M13 and upgraded to the Helix LT and am really happy with it. My initial intention was to mainly use the Helix for effects and my DSL for the tone, but I'm finding I use more presets with amp models and go direct to the effects return, thus making my DSL a power amp only. So much versatility and the interface is incredibly simple.

I initially looked at the HX effects, but 1) I got a good price on the LT, and 2) I can use the LT as a backup if my DSL needs repair. It's a great recording interface too!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I'm finding I use more presets with amp models and go direct to the effects return
If the Helix range are like the BOSS GTs you can hook up in 4CM to use the DSL preamps for your own patches with the Send/Return enabled in the Helix signal chain.
For the factory presets the S/N is normally set to off, thereby sending the whole signal chain to the return jack, bypassing the DSL preamp.
No need to change cabling.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
If the Helix range are like the BOSS GTs you can hook up in 4CM to use the DSL preamps for your own patches with the Send/Return enabled in the Helix signal chain.
For the factory presets the S/N is normally set to off, thereby sending the whole signal chain to the return jack, bypassing the DSL preamp.
No need to change cabling.
That's exactly how I'm set up. For my patches that use my DSL preamp I take full advantage of 4CM routing. When I use a preamp in the Helix (along with effects before and after the preamp, the signal goes from my guitar, into the Helix, and then routed out to the amp effects return. All as you said without changing cables :)

The Helix uses "blocks" for effects, amps, cabs and routing. In this case there's a Send/Return block and depending where that's inserted in the chain depends when the signal goes out to the amp and back. If I don't use a S/R block, or bypass it if it's in the signal path, then the signal passes through to the output, which is connected to the Effects Return (in 4CM).

wakjob

Reaction score
I sold my Line 6 M13 and upgraded to the Helix LT and am really happy with it. My initial intention was to mainly use the Helix for effects and my DSL for the tone, but I'm finding I use more presets with amp models and go direct to the effects return, thus making my DSL a power amp only. So much versatility and the interface is incredibly simple.

I initially looked at the HX effects, but 1) I got a good price on the LT, and 2) I can use the LT as a backup if my DSL needs repair. It's a great recording interface too!

Big difference in the quality of effects in the Helix LT compared to the M13? I know all the 'Legacy' Line 6 effects are in the LT, but how about the newer ones?

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Big difference in the quality of effects in the Helix LT compared to the M13? I know all the 'Legacy' Line 6 effects are in the LT, but how about the newer ones?
There is definitely an improvement with the effects as well as some newer one's that are really nice too (the Adriatic Delay comes to mind - very nice). I've noticed that even some of the Legacy effects are better and I'm not sure why that is. I use a Chorus a lot, and struggled with it on the M13. It always seemed weak to me. I watched videos, checked forums, etc to see how I could improve it but I never got along with it. For the heck of it I tried it in the Helix and it's like two different effects. I had a similar experience with a Flanger - much better on the Helix as well.