Are Power Attenuators necessary anymore?

• Thread starter zslane
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zslane

Reaction score
For old, vintage amps I realize that power attenuators (like the Marshall Power Break, or the THD Hot Plate) can be a godsend. But do they really serve any purpose anymore with today's Master Volume equipped amps? Doesn't the Master Volume control effectively perform the same function?

Adwex

Reaction score
For old, vintage amps I realize that power attenuators (like the Marshall Power Break, or the THD Hot Plate) can be a godsend. But do they really serve any purpose anymore with today's Master Volume equipped amps? Doesn't the Master Volume control effectively perform the same function?

No.

Master volume allows you to crank the preamp gain, so you get preamp distortion with the master volume low, so there is no (or little) power amp distortion. An attenuator allows you to crank the power section so that the power tubes distort, which is more desireable than preamp distortion.

stryker59

Reaction score
No.

Master volume allows you to crank the preamp gain, so you get preamp distortion with the master volume low, so there is no (or little) power amp distortion. An attenuator allows you to crank the power section so that the power tubes distort, which is more desireable than preamp distortion.

+1

Harpozep

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I think a THD Hot Plate will be in my future then...

Yup, gotta agree, an attenuator allows you to dime the power tubes if needed and not get the cops involved.
There is a wealth of information over in the MyLes Paul forum here:

Power attenuators, Anyone using them? - My Les Paul Forums

So much more than hotplates available. May as well check out the alternatives since they all sound a bit different.
Good luck!:fingersx:

stryker59

Reaction score
as far as breaking tubes go.....:wtf: who the hell told u that? i aint had a bit a problem with that! and it may change your tone a little but for me it aint no more than running a pedal so it aint that big a deal!

zslane

Reaction score
Yeah, any decent attenuator will put the same exact load on the amp that the speaker cab does, so it will have zero impact on tube life aside from allowing you to run them hot a lot more than you would have otherwise.

Harold Lloyd

Reaction score
Re:Which attenuator!

Hello. I've read both good and bad about these: Weber mass150,THD Hotplate,Dr Z trainwreck airbrake,and Ultimate power attenuators. I have a lovely JVM,an ampeg VL-502 and acouple other amps. My objective is to play at so called bedroom levels and get that great tube sound(if that is possible with a big daddy JVM). I would like to get an objective opinion from someone as to which of these attenuators is best. Thanks

stryker59

Reaction score
out of those listed, ive only got experience w/ the hotplate and i love it.
a lot of people say that the ultimate is indeed the ultimate, i personally dont know.

my jvm w/ hotplate pic:
100_1488.jpg

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
as said above- playing over a Master volume is just enjoying the preamp stage - which is great, but overdriven main tubes are where all the action is. Example: I normally play my DSL100 at volume +/- "3-4" in my rehearsal room. That is loud and the amp truly sings - great sound / sustain / resonance. Recently we were forced to play a gig at low volume - maybe a max of "2" on the destruction scale of things. I noticed that I was stranded a little doing solos without the usual howling/singing solo sustain - eg. the sound was right, but the amp was barely awake... I wish now I had one of those power soaks.

Cheers brett

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
From my understanding, using a attenuator will cut down on power tube life because you are driving the tubes harder by raising the volume, but shortened tube life would happen anyways if you were driving the tubes hard without the attenuator. That was the negative aspects of using the attenuator. The positive aspects would be that it allows you to get tones from the power tubes at low volumes and it would save some wear and tear on your cabinet speakers since they are not being driven very hard. In the big picture, generally speaking, good speakers are more expensive than good tubes, so an attenuator is a good investment.

st.bede

Reaction score
I have a hot plate and I do use it but, it does effect tonality....the more you bring the vol. down the more you loss a bit of depth....but, keeping my hearing is why more important then jamming at loud vol.....for recording I tend to avoid the attenuator but, I could see if the part is not extremly important then it would not do so much harm

Harold Lloyd

Reaction score
Hello,Thanks to STRYKER59 for replying to my question about attenuators. He also has the Marshall JVM head as I do, but is using a THD. The Telecaster site seems to think the Dr Z airbrake is the bomb,but I play either custom shop Les Pauls or an Yngwie Fender with the stacked humbuckers. I assume these are your Brad Paisley types or even Roy Bucanhan at the tele site.The Les Paul has many good views on it but I'd really like to hear(ie:read in the forum) from some knowledgeable fellows with experience with many different attenunators. I'll probably make my purchase in a month or 2 depending on how long it takes to research this tone quest. My objective is simple,to play at bedroom levels and get that singing sustain and those rich Marshall tones that release endorfins when I crank it. Can you blame me? I do not really want to buy a tiny amp like a Peavey JSX mini Collus or whatever since I have the Big Daddy JVM. Thanks.

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
I have a hot plate and I do use it but, it does effect tonality....the more you bring the vol. down the more you loss a bit of depth....but, keeping my hearing is why more important then jamming at loud vol.....for recording I tend to avoid the attenuator but, I could see if the part is not extremly important then it would not do so much harm

That's where your 10 band EQ comes into play.... You simply boost the bass and highs a bit depending upon how much you're attenuating. If it's still loud as hell you don't need to use your EQ for that. :headbanger: Only if you drop below garbage disposal levels.

codyfarmer

Reaction score
the best attenuator I ever used was my volume on 10 and my ears drums tearing enough to where it wasn't too loud :headbanger:

steelhorse

Reaction score
Hello,Thanks to STRYKER59 for replying to my question about attenuators. He also has the Marshall JVM head as I do, but is using a THD. The Telecaster site seems to think the Dr Z airbrake is the bomb,but I play either custom shop Les Pauls or an Yngwie Fender with the stacked humbuckers. I assume these are your Brad Paisley types or even Roy Bucanhan at the tele site.The Les Paul has many good views on it but I'd really like to hear(ie:read in the forum) from some knowledgeable fellows with experience with many different attenunators. I'll probably make my purchase in a month or 2 depending on how long it takes to research this tone quest. My objective is simple,to play at bedroom levels and get that singing sustain and those rich Marshall tones that release endorfins when I crank it. Can you blame me? I do not really want to buy a tiny amp like a Peavey JSX mini Collus or whatever since I have the Big Daddy JVM. Thanks.

I've owned many different attenuators and none are more reliable, quiet, as good a sounding for the cost as a THD.

It's drawback is that you have to get a hotplate to match your specific impedance whereas there are a few that allow you to change the impedance none of which I found were that good imo.

I also like the fact that there are tone boosts for deep (bass) and bright (treble) and they work quite well.

There are also a few online authorized distributors on the web and on ebay that sell them for a chunk less than retail. Some even have decent shipping rates and include a speaker cable as well.

Good luck!

tonehound25

Reaction score
Hi, Im begging you all for some help here ! Im in the market for a new amp. I liked the flexibility of the new marshall JVM 205C combo, but at 50 watts it is too loud for my teaching studio ( if I want to drive the power valves hard for the best tone ) . My decision was to buy the appropriate THD hotplate, However after looking at the back panel diagram of the marshall, i dont know how I would be able to connect it ! Any comments would be appreciated ! Im really stuck here. Gav:confused: