Arrgh! Need help with amp upgrade

• Thread starter M3G4D3TH 4 L1F3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3G4D3TH 4 L1F3

Reaction score
I'm 15, in a band doing stuff from Hendrix, AC/DC, Early Metallica, Early Megadeth, Randy Rhoads and Van Halen. We have started gigging and luckily I've been able to borrow amps from other bands (We're only small so we are the openers) but we still go to a pretty loud volume and I'm looking for something with headroom for solos and boost, think like from bar gigs to medium stage gigs. Online I keep seeing recommendations to get a stack for all these tones but it would be too overkill to bring a big halfstack for the opening band for bar gigs and such. I've been looking at the studio marshalls like the JCM800 or Plexi but all over online I keep getting mixed feeback on whether they would be loud enough with a hard hitting drummer (Which our band definetely has) and the biggest cab that I could take would be a 2X12 ideally with V30s or the Marshall G12 Vintages. Sorry this was a bit of a rant but any ideas of a good suggestion? In rehearsals I'm stuck using a Code 25 But its horrible for my tastes and I really want a tube amp rather than a solid state.

P.s. I'm Ideally looking for a Marshall amp, not anything like an EVH or Fender, tried them at gigs and stores for my sort of music, didn't like them, Marshalls are for me, Plexi and JCM800 were definetely my favourite in 100w versions but as stated can't bring half stack to gigs

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A vertical 2x12 (or even a 1x12) and a DSL40 head will take you where you want to go. It'll be a while before you need more, in fact, these days, it'd be a rare gig that needs more volume than this can deliver. Or a DSL40 combo would work.

PeaceBuyer

Reaction score
The JCM800 Studio could be a good choice and if you were looking for a cabinet I think the 1936V could be sufficient with the vintage speakers. I'm not sure about the particular headroom of the studio if you want a boost for solos (Assuming your not mic'd up considering how small the gigs are) but otherwise than that I reckon it could be a good portable rig for studio and live use.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
You probably need at least 40 watts with a hard-hitting drummer. I used to run a 50 watt Plexi but they get pretty loud. A 50 watt JCM like a 2204 or 2205 can be run with a 2x12 or can be found in a combo form and these have a good master volume. I also used to run my 100 watt JCM with 2 Vintage 30’s with no problems.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'm 15, in a band doing stuff from Hendrix, AC/DC, Early Metallica, Early Megadeth, Randy Rhoads and Van Halen. We have started gigging and luckily I've been able to borrow amps from other bands (We're only small so we are the openers) but we still go to a pretty loud volume and I'm looking for something with headroom for solos and boost, think like from bar gigs to medium stage gigs. Online I keep seeing recommendations to get a stack for all these tones but it would be too overkill to bring a big halfstack for the opening band for bar gigs and such. I've been looking at the studio marshalls like the JCM800 or Plexi but all over online I keep getting mixed feeback on whether they would be loud enough with a hard hitting drummer (Which our band definetely has) and the biggest cab that I could take would be a 2X12 ideally with V30s or the Marshall G12 Vintages. Sorry this was a bit of a rant but any ideas of a good suggestion? In rehearsals I'm stuck using a Code 25 But its horrible for my tastes and I really want a tube amp rather than a solid state.

P.s. I'm Ideally looking for a Marshall amp, not anything like an EVH or Fender, tried them at gigs and stores for my sort of music, didn't like them, Marshalls are for me, Plexi and JCM800 were definetely my favourite in 100w versions but as stated can't bring half stack to gigs
Not sure what size venues you're playing, but in a smaller venue, even without a PA, the SC20 would definitely be loud enough. If you're playing venues where the SC20 wouldn't be loud enough, you "should be" running everything through a PA. With a PA, you don't even need an amp, a modeling pedal would do (what I use). If you're playing medium to larger venues with no PA, not only will you need a 50 or 100w amp, but your overall sound will most likely suffer (IMO).

Last edited:

Musicmaniac

Reaction score
Good recommendations above and I'll add the JCM800 4010. Played many a bar with this bad boy and was never disappointed!

Latest posts