• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Artist 4203 V30 Replacement Suggestions

• Thread starter Drdos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drdos

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about the Mid hump on this speaker some people really like and others don't. I'm really not sure where I stand. I gigged my 4203 this past Sat, and was not too impressed with the OD tones i was getting(yes very mid rangy no chunk on the bottom end), but I have never gotten so many great compliments from people in the audience then I did Sat. I can tell I was cutting through the band mix, so I have to say that the V30 really serves the purpose it was made for. I tried a Cel GB in this amp awhile back, and really liked the tone I was getting especially in the high and low frec. range, but since this speaker is rated for 25 watts I knew it wouldn't last long. All this to say If I liked the GB better would you suggest a WGS ET65, or possibly a Eminence GB128 as a replacement. Thanks

GIBSON67

Reaction score
You might want to look into the new Creamback 65 watt Celestion that supposedly has more bass than a GB.

Drdos

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will look at that speaker/sound clips.

Drdos

Reaction score
So I bought the Invader this weekend. Really psyched to try it out.

Ethereal Guitars

Reaction score
Very keen to hear your thoughts on the new speaker. I picked up a 1987 Artist 4203 a few weeks ago and I am really enjoying this great amp. Had a jam with a mate last night, he was playing on my Taylor acoustic through the Marshall AS50D......me soloing on a Gibson SG (P90's) through the 4203.....absolutely sublime! Mine has the stock original speaker and I reckon it sounds great but always searching for improvements :)

Drdos

Reaction score
Hey E.G. Yeah I do like the WGS Invader so far, though I'm not blown away by it yet. I think the improvement it has made in my amp so far is that lead tones are crisper, and they don't seem as muddied as they were with the V30. I'm hoping that with a little more break in time I may get more bottom end that I am lacking right now. Cheers

Ethereal Guitars

Reaction score
Hey E.G. Yeah I do like the WGS Invader so far, though I'm not blown away by it yet. I think the improvement it has made in my amp so far is that lead tones are crisper, and they don't seem as muddied as they were with the V30. I'm hoping that with a little more break in time I may get more bottom end that I am lacking right now. Cheers

Hey thanks Drdos! Break in time is always an unknown factor I find. Best off playing it loud and long for a while and seeing if it comes to the party. I reckon I might just stick with the original stock speaker for a while but I would love to try a Celestion 70th Anniversary speaker in it......I had one in a Tiny Terror combo and thought the speaker was sublime. Good luck with the WGS, I reckon they look like great value for money and good to see they are made in USA :)
Cheers, Jon.