AS50R Spring Reverb

• Thread starter dolan46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dolan46

Reaction score
Hi. The reverb in my trusty 20 years old AS50R is quieter than it used to be some years ago. I checked the reverb tank and it all seems in order with nothing broken or missing. It still works but is just quiet. My question is - if I was to change the tank to a new Mod one, would that make any difference? Those tanks are always described as an upgrade. Any advice would appreciated.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. The reverb in my trusty 20 years old AS50R is quieter than it used to be some years ago. I checked the reverb tank and it all seems in order with nothing broken or missing. It still works but is just quiet. My question is - if I was to change the tank to a new Mod one, would that make any difference? Those tanks are always described as an upgrade. Any advice would appreciated.
:welcome:to the forum.
The issue may not be the tank itself.
I have no firsthand knowledge of that amp, but the problem could also be in the circuit that feeds the tank.
If you're not into pulling the chassis and testing component values, you might want to visit an amp tech.

MOD replacements are not crazy expensive, so perhaps worth a try.
Do you know how to read the tank codes and get a suitable replacement?

External reverb pedals are another option that can also add a lot of different functionality vs. just 1 knob.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Don't think your springs have gotten weak, more probability of weaker signal going to the springs. Are your balance and mix knobs in the same place as usual?

stratfordade

Reaction score
Tank issues are generally all or nothing. I’d be investigating the reverb drive and recovery circuit. If that sounds daunting then find a trustworthy repair guy!

dolan46

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I live rurally so would have to find an amp technician a bit away. I might do that or I might just take a punt and replace the tank with a Mod one. I had wondered if the transducers in the tank deteriorate over time affecting the the performance.