Attenuator Pointless on a DSL 200..Right?

• Thread starter saffel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

saffel

Reaction score
Is getting an attenuator for a JCM DSL 2000 redundant? Am I missing out on great tone by not being able to crank the Vol and really push the power tubes?

I have been looking at the THD hot plates. At three bills, I would hate to get it home and be indifferent to the tone.

The amp (obviously) has separate gain and volume controls.

Thanks guys!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Is getting an attenuator for a JCM DSL 2000 redundant? Am I missing out on great tone by not being able to crank the Vol and really push the power tubes?

I have been looking at the THD hot plates. At three bills, I would hate to get it home and be indifferent to the tone.

The amp (obviously) has separate gain and volume controls.

Thanks guys!

not really worth it for a DSL.

For a NMV amp or even a JCM 800 2204/2203, sure.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a DSL it's a complete waste of money. You're fine without it and it will not make a difference being as how the DSL has master volume and sounds good at low volumes

jaek

Reaction score
The DSL isn't Master Volume is it? It only has a volume. 2 to be exact one for each channel. So unless I'm missing something it wouldn't be a MV amp.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DSL isn't Master Volume is it? It only has a volume. 2 to be exact one for each channel. So unless I'm missing something it wouldn't be a MV amp.

Let's go back to a NMV amplifier and examine this once more. We just went through this on another thread.

Amplifiers with no master volume also did not have a separate gain control. You could only get more distortion by cranking the volume knob.

This is why it has two separate master volumes, it is called a Dual Super Lead. Both channels although sharing the same EQ section are still independent. Joining them both under one master volume would make both channels uneven in overall volume, this being a Single Super Lead.

If the DSL did not have a MV, then there would be no separate volume and gain controls, they would be the same knob and the gain stage would be approached much differently so yes, both channels have their own master volumes.

Sure, you could add another overall volume knob. Hell, you could add three or four more but it would just be redundant as those are already master volumes for their channel.

Xx DBENC xX

Reaction score
Let's go back to a NMV amplifier and examine this once more. We just went through this on another thread.

Amplifiers with no master volume also did not have a separate gain control. You could only get more distortion by cranking the volume knob.

This is why it has two separate master volumes, it is called a Dual Super Lead. Both channels although sharing the same EQ section are still independent. Joining them both under one master volume would make both channels uneven in overall volume, this being a Single Super Lead.

If the DSL did not have a MV, then there would be no separate volume and gain controls, they would be the same knob and the gain stage would be approached much differently so yes, both channels have their own master volumes.

Sure, you could add another overall volume knob. Hell, you could add three or four more but it would just be redundant as those are already master volumes for their channel.

But you would able to crank the vol and gain(per channel) and keep the master low. And you could just adjust each channel they way you want as far as vol/gain and just turn the master to where you want. Isn't there a reason the dsl combo says MASTER VOLUME and the DSL100 doesn't...Anywhere....At all.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you would able to crank the vol and gain(per channel) and keep the master low. And you could just adjust each channel they way you want as far as vol/gain and just turn the master to where you want. Isn't there a reason the dsl combo says MASTER VOLUME and the DSL100 doesn't...Anywhere....At all.

I don't think you quite understand how they are wired together.

If you were to add a volume switch to govern the volume for both channels you will not be able to crank the master volume and then turn down the master master volume. The second volume knob would do the same thing as the first, it would be still limiting the signal to the output section. If you had the first volume wide open, then turn the second volume to 1 it would be exactly the same as having the first volume knob at 1. The way it's wired is what designates it a master volume, not what it says on the faceplate. The Gain control governs the volume of the preamp section, once passed that there comes the master volume to control the output section, past that is the speakers. There is no where else to add any kind of volume control. The whole inception behind the master volume was to separate the preamp from the poweramp because before the days of the master volume, the only way to get more distortion was to turn the whole thing up. Once people realized distortion was desired, a control was added to be able to crank the preamp full tilt for maximum saturation while not having to go deaf to achieve preamp distortion, thus the master volume was born.

Some dual channel amps have one volume to govern both channels. The Dual Super Lead head has two independent volume controls for two independent channels. Either way, they are both master volumes. I don't know how else I can continue to explain it.

How about this, on the JCM800 there is no Gain knob, there is only a Master Volume and Preamp Volume control. On the DSL it says Volume and Gain. Both controls on both amps take care of the exact same thing. So can I say the JCM800 does not have a gain control, or maybe it doesn't have any distortion at all?

Just trying to get this clear, not trying to get in your face. It's just this ain't my first time at the dance.

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Here's a simplified signal chain heirarchy of the DSL50 head. Hopefully this should clear things up.

DSL.JPG

Latest posts