• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Behringer Pedals - Why So Inexpensive?

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I know nothing about them but saw how inexpensive they were on musiciansfriend.com. Theres no reviews on the site for any of them, maybe their new? $37 for a reverb, $39 for a delay, sounds unreal and they look good at least. Anybody try them? Gonna have to take a trip to GC and see if they have any.

trobdcso

Reaction score
I decided a long time ago, not to buy anything that ends in the letters...G E R.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Inexpensively made in other countries.
High rate of failure.
Others will confirm this...

I can confirm this.

Had a Behringer US600. Died within 6 months.
Also, they're made of cheap plastic and feel very flimsy. Would break if you kept using them.

Although I had a volume/expression pedal by them that worked fabulously. Avoid their plastic Boss clone pedals, though.

You want cheap pedals? Go Joyo and Biyang, or find some used Boss, Digitech, or MXR pedals.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
OK I'm convinced. I'll pretend I never saw them.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about them but saw how inexpensive they were on musiciansfriend.com. Theres no reviews on the site for any of them, maybe their new? $37 for a reverb, $39 for a delay, sounds unreal and they look good at least. Anybody try them? Gonna have to take a trip to GC and see if they have any.

They have a low resale value on ebay-thats all. ...oh and theyre crap.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
they work fine but they are made of plastic. they actualy sound pretty much as good as any BOSS or roughly similar range of pedals (sometimes better depending) but they're made out of plastic and over seaes.

i was thinking about getting a handful just for recording but i wouldn't even attempt using one live....i'd smash that fucker in one fell swoop of the fat man foot of doom (6,2 300lbs and size 14 feet plus severe nerve damage in my legs and feet).

but i can attest to their sound generaly being perfectly on par with your "standard" pedals.

my ex rhythm guy used a bunch and none ever failed on him but i was waiting for it lol. just the construction requires delecacy in handling imo but that's really all.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I can confirm this.

Had a Behringer US600. Died within 6 months.
Also, they're made of cheap plastic and feel very flimsy. Would break if you kept using them.

Although I had a volume/expression pedal by them that worked fabulously. Avoid their plastic Boss clone pedals, though.

You want cheap pedals? Go Joyo and Biyang, or find some used Boss, Digitech, or MXR pedals.
i got a brand new in the box BOSS DD-7 DUD;)

i've also owned 3 dd-6's that ALL had issues.

BOSS also wouldn't fix my pedal even new with info. they're dead to me;) but i never liked anything other than the delays anyway. they have some of the worst tone out there (hence my relative tonal comparison to the behringers though granted i was more polite with them lol.)

V-man

Reaction score
I have great difficulty fathoming buyers of cheap pedals. There is so much crap out there with such a soft market of impulse buyers/flippers that it's crazy not to take advantage of this thriving used market rather than cheap nasty shyte.

Finding $40-$50 MXR and EHX stomps is easy pickings these days. 2 used $40 MXR boxes that can be sold for what you paid beats the hell out of 3 new $30 junk pedals you'd be lucky to get $15 for WHEN (not if) you discover they need ditching.

Ricochet

Reaction score
I had a Berhinger pedal.

Key word "HAD".

I don't EVER sell any of my gear...

Target practice? :naughty:

It's easy to dismiss Behringer quality with, you get what you pay for... Maybe(probably) it holds true now. But I remember when the first pedals were introduced on the market here in Europe, more than a decade ago...
They were 20 bucks a pop! Joyo, Artec, Biyang didn't exist back then. If you were a beginner looking to get a taste of fx they were the only affordable alternative. Some of the Behringers are supposedly very good, not just the pedals.
And the plastic housing? Well, if you're a pro you'd use a looper anyway right? :D

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I never really stomped on my Behringer pedal much. it was a Pitch shifter that can be used with an expression pedal. I left it on all the time and mostly used the expression pedal.

Somehow it still died. :lol:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the hellbabe wah which sounded decent enough for a couple things but the treadle pin came out & that was that.paid $15-sold it for $10.00.

I do have a Behringer 3102 dual rack eq.cheap sliders bend easily but great for studio use or if handled carefully.

Behringer ubb1002 mixer that's still going strong. the down side is you have to have the sliders way up for signal as compared to some other boards.
it works fine for recording & has phantom power.

Grenade

Reaction score
I have a a/b box that is noisy as hell when used with 1 guitar and 2 amps. I use it now for switching between my guitar and lap steel into 1 amp and it works fine.

spacerocker

Reaction score
You get what you pay for...that's why they're so cheap.

Not necessarily - Generally I agree, but the flip-side is "A fool and his money are easily parted" !

I bought a Berhinger Vintage phaser - for £16! It is one of the best phasers I have ever heard!

It has a metal case, and a slightly flimsy control knob - but this thing has been going strong for about 2/3 years!

It sounds exactly like a EH "Small Stone" - a pedal which costs £90. Since I only use it for 1 or 2 songs, I couldn't justify the expense - but the Behringer does a fine job every time!

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Target practice? :naughty:

It's easy to dismiss Behringer quality with, you get what you pay for... Maybe(probably) it holds true now. But I remember when the first pedals were introduced on the market here in Europe, more than a decade ago...
They were 20 bucks a pop! Joyo, Artec, Biyang didn't exist back then. If you were a beginner looking to get a taste of fx they were the only affordable alternative. Some of the Behringers are supposedly very good, not just the pedals.
And the plastic housing? Well, if you're a pro you'd use a looper anyway right? :D

Behringer just isn't that good. Which i know from my own experience. I had a couple that i've used once or twice, then stored them in my 'pedal closet'. Took em out a couple month later and both of them didn't work anymore.

You're right, you get what you pay for, nowdays, but back in the day when pedals were 20 bucks that wasn't exactly true, When something isn't expensive to build, and there is not much demand for a product (pedals were not very popular back then) , and the product is not worth much to the buyers, so it's not expensive. Also you should take into account that 20 $ was worth a bit more back then.

The rare pedals we are now all looking for that were originally sold for 20$ (as you mentioned) are now worth 500$, because there are so few of them left, and there is a crazy hype around them. Which takes me to my next statement; the buyers determine the price of the product. When a turd sells for 100$ on ebay, that means it's worth 100$ to someone, which means a turd is now worth 100$. sellers will now ask 100$ for a turd because someone paid 100$ for one. nd when the people really want the turd they will pay 100$ for it, because apparently it's worth it to them. It's that simple really.

Biyang, joyo etcc.,. Might not have existed back in the 60's and early 70's , but there was a lot of junk on the market too (even among the vintage brands people are paying a lot of money for nowdays) and there were also cheaper alternatives like coron. Most of the junk from yesteryear is not known to the people nowdays because it is forgetten by the people who lived back then, because it was junk. Behringer will probably also be forgotten in 30 years.

Behringer pedals might sound similar to boss pedals, but boss isn't that good either when it comes to sound quality. They're not bad, but they are not spectacular either, compared to other pedals that are availatble nowdays, and of course the vintage pedals that are now sought after. Boss also had some good pedals back in the day though, they still have a couple pretty good ones actually.

behringer pedals have their purpose, they are good for beginners, but they're not for the more advanced, serious guitarists. For two reasons; build quality and reliability: 0, tone: meh

For pros using loopers and patchbays, that not true really. So of them do but most of them don't. Personally i don't like loopers, patch bays and audio switchers (controlled by midi). If you know what youre doing you can get better sounds out of a 'regular' setup.. But that's a whole other story. Read this if you'd like to learn more about it: http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_what_is_a_buffer.pdf

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Not necessarily - Generally I agree, but the flip-side is "A fool and his money are easily parted" !

I bought a Berhinger Vintage phaser - for £16! It is one of the best phasers I have ever heard!

It has a metal case, and a slightly flimsy control knob - but this thing has been going strong for about 2/3 years!

It sounds exactly like a EH "Small Stone" - a pedal which costs £90. Since I only use it for 1 or 2 songs, I couldn't justify the expense - but the Behringer does a fine job every time!

Without any effort I spotted 2 new Small Stone Nanos for about £55, which probably puts it at @ £35 used if you look around. That £35 comes right back to the buyer's pocket should he decide to sell this secondhand EHX after using it to his heart's content. Point being, it sounds like you have a very satisfying experience, which is cool, but I wouldn't advise anybody to rely on your good Berhinger experience as advice to go out and buy one.

I am in the same boat as you with my Tube Screamer. Back in the 90s, I picked up the only one available new... a $35 plastic Ibanez ST5. This pedal is virtually identical in tone to a TS9 (maybe with a hair more gain). The problem is that the switch is ridiculous... if you don't hit it right it will not engage. Now if Soundtanks were still made for $45, I would suggest to anybody that they would be better off spending $60 on a used TS9, despite the fact the thing works quite well for me and my less-demanding purposes.

Latest posts