best cabinet for darker sound

• Thread starter nastydag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nastydag

Reaction score
does anyone have suggestions on any brand of 4 12 half stacks that will help me get a darker sound?

purpledc

Reaction score
I would look at a genz benz Tribal 412. I actually traded mine in for a marshall 1960a since I wanted a brighter sound. Those cabs with the eminence private jacks are some of the darkest sounding cabs ive heard. Put it this way. I have a peavey 6534+ which is in the same family as the 6505 & 6505+ amps. They are known to be very bright and tinny if dialed in wrong. With that cab I could literally pin the presence and the treble and it was just starting to sound like It was in the same room as me. If you want it dark you cant get darker. Hell, it may be too dark.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
The Mode 4 cabs over sized cabs are sweet, and you can find them for not a lot of money these days. I have the Mode 4 B with vintage 30's in it. It has a huge bottom and and very dark voicing compared to my other cabs.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
avatar,mesa,big cabs with v30's. eminence legends are good spekers too.

00jett

Reaction score
For a dark cab I find speakers are more key than the cab alot of times. Look for a speaker with a more flat response in the high end, and a good strong low end. Emenince makes a few good speakers for this job.

purpledc

Reaction score
The Mode 4 cabs over sized cabs are sweet, and you can find them for not a lot of money these days. I have the Mode 4 B with vintage 30's in it. It has a huge bottom and and very dark voicing compared to my other cabs.

I thought those mode four cabs came with a speaker based off the V30 but with extra power capabilities. Do the higher watt speakers sound like an original V30?

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I thought those mode four cabs came with a speaker based off the V30 but with extra power capabilities. Do the higher watt speakers sound like an original V30?

The A cabs did (400 watts), but the B cabs have v-30's.

Last edited:

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
For a dark cab I find speakers are more key than the cab alot of times. Look for a speaker with a more flat response in the high end, and a good strong low end. Emenince makes a few good speakers for this job.

Hey OOJet,

I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

The difference between a Marshall A and B cab with the same speakers is pretty substantial.

plankbadger

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a bit slow; what is a darker sound? Does it mean less high frequencies?

purpledc

Reaction score
The A cabs did (400 watts), but the B cabs have v-30's.

just found a post on how the there are more than 1 variation of V30 out there. What was tripping me up was marshall stating that their mode four 280 a and b cabs were 280watts. Celestion claims the speaker is a 60 watt speaker. The math didnt add up. But then I found out as well that the Vintage 30 is actually about 65 watts and that both sites are wrong. Crazy speaker conundrum.

00jett

Reaction score
Hey OOJet,

I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

The difference between a Marshall A and B cab with the same speakers is pretty substantial.

Thats true, the difference is pretty substantial, I just know Iv had a 2x12 with v30s side by side with an identical 2x12 with eminence delta pros, and the difference was night and day. I generally prefer starting with a good solid cab, metal handles, and then speakers to suit my style. Works great!